Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to plant in georgia red clay?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM

Default What to plant in georgia red clay?

We have had some problems growing anything on our property. The property is located in South Georgia and most of the property is red clay. Does anyone have any suggestions of what would grow or what we can do to make anything grow? The only thing we are able to grow in the winter time is winter rye.

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice is to talk with your game and fish biologist for your area and him that question. I am sure they will have very good ideas of what would be good to plant.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

I'd ask the local county extension agent. 1-800-ask-uga1. I'd try 5 lbs ladino clover mixed with 30lbs oats per acre. Also had good luck with iron clay peas mixed with lab lab on heavy clay, but its too late for that now. Maybe some winter peas?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do a soil test first. I would plant Buck Forage Oats mixed 50/30 with winter wheat and over seed with Yucci Arrowleaf white clover.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Red Georgia Clay

It sure is tougher than brown or dark soil.

I found several things. Use lime or your fertilizer will amount to nothing. If you ain't thinking lime, you ain't thinking about growing anything.

If it's some size and expense, get the soil tested.

And I found planting time other than in heat, the best choice. Early or late and avoid the heat.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Spike

I agree with the soil test, that loomy stuff is hard to do anything with but first test the soil and you can go from there...good luck!
Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 AM

I thank all of you for the suggestions. I'm heading up to Georgia next week and plan on trying to get a soil test done. If anyone else has some tips for me, please feel fre to post.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Spike

i have very good luck with a winter mix of rye, oats and buck wheat. also mix in alittle bit of rape. My lease is located in Randolph Cnty, ga. over by Albany. usually put down some 10-10-10 fertilizer. winter plots need to be in the ground in south ga. in a couple more weeks. I plant mine the first week of September. not quite ready for opening of bow season, but will be starting to come up.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Red Clay

I have red clay here in Southern NC. The soil was tested, I disced in lime. I fertilized and planted Imperial Whitetail Chicory Plus. I planted it in the Spring and it came up nice (took about 3-4 months to get thick) and thick, I had descent rain. I mowed it a couple of times through the summer.