Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

turnips

Old 08-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default turnips

Planning on planting turnips in 2 areas this year. One is a new area that I am cleaning up & working now. The other would be in an area that was planted to soy beans that were planted thin & show minimal plants & growth. I understand that the end of this month is a good time in Ks. Can I just broadcast among the beans? Would it be better to drag after broadcasting in the area that has no other plants in it?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

I would use a clean preped bed and pack it(drag is fine). Heads up though, atleast here its after the season(ends jan. 1) before they start hitting turnips good.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer to seed onto prepped soil for best germination and plant growth, especially in the later part of summer/ early fall planting. The deer won't bother them much until the first frost when the sugar is pulled from the turnip into the leaves. They will eat all the leaves and browse on the turnips leaving bites in them without finishing the whole turnip. Expect a large number of the turnips to rot in the field from being half eaten.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Spike

The deer here on my place absolutely will not eat turnips for some reason,I've planted them several different times and end up with a field full of rottong stinking turnips. They do how ever love Kale and rape.