Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
A management scenaro for you guys... >

A management scenaro for you guys...

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

A management scenaro for you guys...

Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

This is a problem about 4 years developing...we've hunted the land for about 15. I think this year I'm really just going on a killing spree. I hope everyone I know likes venison because I'm gonna bring about 1,000lbs. home this year.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Take some youth hunters out. I know alot of young hunters who would love the chance to shoot huge 6 pointers. Your options to improve the herd sucks but if you are going to try to kill off that unwanted trait both doe and buck will need to be thinned out. Maybe you could lease your land out thus receive money to improve your herd while allowing others to harvest a deer or better yet allow young hunters an opportunity to hunt these deer you don't want around. Where are you from/ where is this happening?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

That's not a bad idea...I think the fact is that a lot of deer just need to be shot. We were planning on shooting 8-12 does this year regardless. This is happening in south central Wisconsin...the good news is we have three deer over the last month on camera WITH brow tines 150+. So all is not lost, I'd obviously just like to give them priority in breeding, that's why taking out some older no brows would be good.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

As a general rule, about 75% of bucks will disperse from their birth range between 6 and 18 months of age. If you have a local, genetic, abnormality, it is most likely caused by the does in your area, not by the bucks.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bob S
As a general rule, about 75% of bucks will disperse from their birth range between 6 and 18 months of age. If you have a local, genetic, abnormality, it is most likely caused by the does in your area, not by the bucks.
Really??? So basically you're saying that the does stay put a lot moreso than the bucks in the area?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by appleater25
So basically you're saying that the does stay put a lot moreso than the bucks in the area?
That is correct.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

So while shooting a number of these bucks may help, still harvesting a healthy number of does is important. This will help my approach for the season.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Spike

Before I state what I would like to say.Let me give you my background on my knowledge,I am only 20 years old,but i have been working with state biologist and the fish and wildlife since i was 6 years old.Its been my life.I got a Bacehlors Degree in wildlife biology from UNL,and im working on getting my Masters right now,then after that I will be getting a PHD in Wildlife BIology from CSU. I have been working every summer since i was 16 as a Conservation Technician a step under a wildlife biologist,im there right hand man you could say.BobS made a great point,if you have a huge buck to do ratio,which most likely is the cause,cause in most areas that is the case,then you need to not only harvest mature and unmature bucks you need to shoot alot of does,my reccomendation to you is QDM.Have you just been a trophy hunter during the years you hunt this and let the small ones go?..im sure thats the case.Well as you let the small bucks go they get bigger ofcourse,and they breed,which MORE genetics get spread throughout your deer herd,im sure with the surrounding properties the forkhorns and no brows,is that also the case for them?...I always have people ask me do you only shoot 4.5-to older deer,no that is not the case at all,I may see a 1.5-2yr old buck with a bad deformed rack,and in most cases you can tell if that deer hurt his rack and he might shed it and come out of it the next year,or hes going to spread bad genetics,so what do i do if its gonna be bad genetics(the matthews solocam does the trick everytime buddy)but i will quit making this so long and if you have any ?'s you can messasge me on this forum or email me on here,Im always willing to help anyone out..Sorry its so long.