Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck forage oats .

Old 07-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Buck forage oats .

I planted some more buck forage oats this past spring , its the 3rd year in a row in different locations .
Just curious if I should mow it down some of leave it alone and let it get highn ??
Is there any advantage to mowing it ( keep it greener ?) or will it be better to let it grow ???
I was told its better to keep my clover to abought 6 inches or so and to mow it when it buds to spread more seeds .
Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

I've never heard of anyone planting oats in the spring. I've been planting buck forage oats for several years on my property and we always plant mid august. If you plant late summer there is never a need for mowing
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

+1. Plant mine in mid-late September in NC. You way up north? I wouldn't mow it either, but down here they seeded out a couple months ago.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Planting

Tne first 2 years I planted the oats in August , Just seem to take off slow .
I tried planting them in the spring ( 1 plot ) this year and wasnt shure if I should mow them down some or not ???
Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Typical Buck

The deer prefer them small. After they seed out birds will be in there but no deer. They should stay 3-10" depending on the time of fall they were planted and the amount of fertilizer put down. They stay short through the winter then shoot up in spring. No need to get em two feet tall.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info .