Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Need help,what plants still attract deer after heavy frost and even snow? >

Need help,what plants still attract deer after heavy frost and even snow?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need help,what plants still attract deer after heavy frost and even snow?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plant alot of oats, winter wheat and rye. Pike
Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Spike

Default Trees deer love

Making food plots is illegal in New Your State, but that can't stop you from growing trees. Some trees that deer love here in NY are evergreen trees( Christmas tree) acorn, apples, pears, crab apple, pine, cedar, and maple trees. Plant these everywhere and deer will be all over them, trust me.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

What ?????

Originally Posted by BigBuckHunter18
Making food plots is illegal in New Your State, but that can't stop you from growing trees. Some trees that deer love here in NY are evergreen trees( Christmas tree) acorn, apples, pears, crab apple, pine, cedar, and maple trees. Plant these everywhere and deer will be all over them, trust me.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Spike

Brassicas and turnips.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Spike

there have been several great suggestions on here,

the turnips are a good choice, the dear here in central Ky. usually will not bother the turnups untill after the first hard frost, (i dont even sow my turnups untill late august) the frost release's the sugars in the turnip and like everyone else the deer like there sugar.

cerial grains will continue to stay green throughout the winter, i have 2 seperate 3 acre food plots that are dedicated to a mix of alfalfa, white clover, and oats.

when i make the initial seeding i always sow oats with the legumes then i let them go to a head and knock them down with a bushhog, then i will run a toothed cultipacker back over it and get a decent reseed from the fallen grain, after the 3rd year the oats are thinning out and i will rotate the plot back to grain

these legume plots are a magnet for both the deer and turkeys here on this place during the winter and they keep it looking like a well groomed lawn untill the spring green up when the deer return to the woods

i also plant 6-12 acres of corn/beans each year and let it stand in the field untill i can only find a couple of kernels at the very bottom of the ear., by then the beans are gone as well and i bush hog the residue .

so everything that has been mentioned is a great suggestion, it depends on what your budget is and how much space you have for the plots.

another great food source for turkeys if you have them is chufa,
Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 AM
Spike

I use Antler King Fall / Winter / Spring Food Plot Blend in Oklahoma. Our weather can change in the blink of eye from warm to extreme cold, ice, and snow. I have had really good success with it. It has a mixture of winter peas and winter rye that provides in excess of 20% protein in all three seasons. I mix in my own turnips that you should be able to get from any feed store. It can grow up to 6-8" tall in just 10 days so its very fast growing. It runs me about $50.00 for a 34lb bag thru a guy that has an on line website. I have enclosed the link for you. http://astore.amazon.com/huntincabin-20
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Spike

Try using Nutrigreen Winter Peas, Frigid Triticale, Oats, Wheat, crimson clover, Oasis chicory and some purple top and red top turnips or better barkant turnips. The nutrigreen winterpeas are very freeze toterant, swter than austrian winter peas and hardy as is the frigid triticale. But these plants will do very well and give a good energy and protein level to your winter plot.

Last edited by Mass Nutrition Inc; 05-04-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: ,