Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turnips with clover?

Old 07-23-2009, 04:50 AM

Default Turnips with clover?

Is it alright to plant clover with turnips?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

In my opinion they should be planted separate. The turnips usually out competes clover.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Typical Buck

I planted both together last year and the plot did very well. The clover was there for them early and then after the hard frost the turnips become sweet while the clover starts to die off. You have a food plot that provides food for a longer portion of the year. And both the turnips and clover did well, neither one outperformed the other.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-29-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: missed a word, needed to clarify
Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

4evrhtn, how does the clover look now? I'd say seperate too, but just curious how well it worked for the following years clover.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

I usually plant 4-5 different types of clover mixed in with my brassicas (turnips and rape)and even throw some oats in with them. The plots seem to have a ton of success and I haven't personally seen any problems with them being mixed.. I have had them seperate and the reasoning for mixing was in order to keep that plot open and active for a longer period of time. I have found that the oats and clover get hit hard early and the brassicas get nailed after the first couple frosts. I have did this for the past few years and still have seen good production out of the clover the follow spring.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

About when are you guys planting clover and turnips?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

I usually plant the first of Aug. that gives about 7-8 weeks before season... The usually hit my clover and oats as soon as it starts to coming up, they will hit the brassicas a little later.. The clover/oats usually last till about oct. then the rest of stuff just get nailed oct/nov.. It seems to get the deer coming and last through bow season.. At least in michigan.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont have a problem planting then together, I do it every year. The turnips are great for the late fall and winter. The clover doesnt really take off till the next spring. I always plant mine with either winter rye or buck forage oats.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Actually the turnips will protect the young clover and help it get established.Plus,the clover helps provide the nitrogen for the brassica.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

I've got to admit y'all fellows have been able to do something that I have not. Turnips and Clover have two different preferred planting dates in my area. Late July-early Aug for the Turnips and as much nitrogen as I can afford is the only way turnips will amount to anything around here. Clover in my area does best planted at least a month later and can be a bit fussy to get established. About the only way I can get a good stand of clover is to plant it with one of the small grains as a companion crop in the fall. The clover seed is a lot more expensive and I'm a bit on the miserly side when it comes to food plots. It sounds like y'all have got a great combo and I wish it worked for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.