Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Help. Weeds or Alfalfa

Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

So you think I should till it up and replant? Or just keep mowing it down?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default just keep mowing it down

just keep mowing it down
Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Spike

If you have alfalfa in there it will eventually take over . All it will take is a few cuttings.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow the root on that is crazy..I have that too but only in little patches in the gravel driveway, not the clover. Hopefully it stays that way
Old 07-26-2009, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

I think I am going to do a seed over in the fall or maybe do a frost seeding after winter.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

[quote=haystack;3386264]10 characters??????????????????????????????????????

It don't look like Alfalfa, most of that has a purple bloom.

real mature alfalfa has a purple flower..
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got that and something a farmer here calls "horse's tail" crowding out my red and white clovers. The deer were using the plots anyway, but they haven't been coming to it much the last couple weeks. Will mowing it help? I've hit it 3 times this summer and the last one seemed to be more effective than the earlier attempts.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DaveH
I've got that and something a farmer here calls "horse's tail" crowding out my red and white clovers. The deer were using the plots anyway, but they haven't been coming to it much the last couple weeks. Will mowing it help? I've hit it 3 times this summer and the last one seemed to be more effective than the earlier attempts.
I will tell you next summer. It seems to be helping sp far. But it is too early to tell.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Spike

What ever the deer are eating they are burying their head below the weeds so just clipping it off to about a 1' should work! I've never seen that certain type of weed here in the south.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DaveH

Horsetail or Mare's tail is what a lot of folks call them, Horseweed is another. It is not as hard to get rid of as Campion. It's a annual and cutting it 2 or 3 times will knock it back pretty good. The seed is carried with the wind and it will grow just about anywhere.

Once your clover gets established and thickens up good, you should see less and less of the Horseweeds.

Horseweed: http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/erica.htm