Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Is it too late to put in a small food plot,in NY below the Finger Lakes? >

Is it too late to put in a small food plot,in NY below the Finger Lakes?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Is it too late to put in a small food plot,in NY below the Finger Lakes?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Spike

Default Is it too late to put in a small food plot,in NY below the Finger Lakes?

Is there any crops that can still be planted to attract deer?I've heard that Winter wheat is great for all kinds of game animals but it needs alot of nitrogen.Thanks for any advise.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Most food plot mixes can be planted in the late summer - check the labels most recommend planting between late july and mid August.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Oats

Plant some buck forage oats /
Deer will hammer them in the colder season .
Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hopefully you have completed your soil test and made any soil corrections needed. I would check with the locals as to when fall food plots are planted in your area, you should have plenty of time.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Spike

Location: NY county that holds both typical and notypical state fiream records

I live in the southern tier and just planted my brassica (kale, rape, turnip). You dont need a lot, 6lbs to the acre and you want about 70 pounds of nitrogen to the acre when planting. I use a 20-10-10 with a nitrate base at about 200lbs to the acre. Only problem your going to have is the weeds i spray in the spring to knock down the majorty of weeds and again about a week and a half to two weeks prior to planting. Your a little behined the eight ball when it comes to that.

I dont have alot of experiance with other stuff exept clover - chicory mixes.

I would also recomend the taking a look at what the guys / farms around you have planted and choosing something diffrent. If the deer have 500 or 1,000 acres of the same crop thats in your plot dont expect much activity.