Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Homemade Mineral Recipes

Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 07-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Pike, you have by far the best trail cam pics on here. Are these taken in Ohio? Is it a lease or a club? That's the closest to here I have seen bucks like the ones you consistently post. I always enjoy looking at them and then compare what I have on cam to the ones you post. I was running even until I saw the width on that one, amazing what happens when you let them walk as 11/2 and 2 1/2 year olds.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

4ever, Thanks!! The pics are from my lease (club) in SE. OH. that I have strictly managed for 8 years now, the herd is just now rebounding from a bad outbreak of EHD. two summers/falls ago.
Also my buddy switched some of my cards in my cams today so I should have some new pics this eve. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 07-13-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt in Jackson County Ohio near Chillicothe. Is that anywhere close to where you are at? Last year I had seen 5 shooters but murphy's law prevailed and I ended up coming home with a 6 and 1/2 year old doe and no buck. She weighed 160 lbs.. bigger than alot of Pa buck I see.
It looks like youve been doing an awesome job out there. I am attempting to do the same thing here in PA because I want my wife to be able to see deer while she is hunting for them which is uncommon on public grounds surrounding us. Thanks again for posting these pics!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

just toss a $5 salt block out there
Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

If you just want a spot to take pics a cheap salt block is good as anything else. Add some dical/lime/mineral salt to "MAYBE" add some inches to them horns. I'm a believer(errrr...sucker).
Old 07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
If you just want a spot to take pics a cheap salt block is good as anything else. Add some dical/lime/mineral salt to "MAYBE" add some inches to them horns. I'm a believer(errrr...sucker).

Yeah Hoss, I guess I'm a believer/sucker also. For me, it's all about doing whatever I can to improve where natural browse might lack.

Back last March, you posted your mineral recipe which included adding lime. That was new to me and I liked that idea. When I refreshed my mineral sites, lime was added. I have no doubt lime is beneficial to deer. Food plots and Ag fields that have had lime applied definitely get more deer usage that's for certain.

And yeah,yeah,yeah I've read how salt is the only thing a deer needs, so you other guys can save your cut and paste!!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Oh heck, I didn't add the recipe.

100# mineral salt, 50# dical, 50# stock salt, 40# dolomitic lime. Put it out in Feb, top it off with a little mineral salt in July.

I think its the same as qdma recipe except the lime, which is a cheap way to increase the calcium/phosphorus ratio closer to where I think it ought to be, plus a little magnesium. I dont remember what dical was, but I think it was close to 20% calcium and 20% phosphorus. I read something somewhere(no clue where) that said the percentage of calcium should be 2 to 3x higher than the phosphorus. Besides lime($3.10) is alot cheaper than dical(last bag was $30)

Quick Reply: Homemade Mineral Recipes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.