HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   about how long will it take (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/294833-about-how-long-will-take.html)

bucksniper14 05-27-2009 02:00 PM

about how long will it take

I planted my perrenial clover that was 6$ pound so a little spendy. I planted it 4 days ago. we just got some rain and tommorow is supposed to nice like 80 and sunny. so how long do you think it will be till it starts coming up. and how long till it becomes big enouhg for deer to eat. the plot isnt very big about half acre or so. thanks

bowmanaj 05-27-2009 02:07 PM

RE: about how long will it take

The more rain you are expecting this week the better.A lotdepends on that, and how much rain you got the other day. Sometimes is only takes 2-4 days to germinate, I've heard up to 7 days also, for white clover.But, there are a lot of variables in there.... like how well the seedbed is prepared, seed to soil contact, etc. I'm sure it will be coming up soon, if its not already.

mossbergman11/OH 05-27-2009 02:09 PM

i was just wondegting the same thing. i planted mine yesterday

1sagittarius 05-27-2009 05:29 PM

Crimson or red clover can sprout quickly with the first light rain. If they stay damp for a couple days they are fine. If they bake in the sun with no rain for a few weeks they can die. Smaller clover seed like ladino or dutch white can take 3-7 days to sprout, so they usually wait for better conditions. Red clovers/crimson grow very quickly, perennial white clovers take there time, but are worth the wait.

mossbergman11/OH 05-31-2009 08:50 AM

some of mine started sprouting up in parts already

bucksniper14 05-31-2009 10:16 AM

mine just started sprouting up yesterday

whatisup02 05-31-2009 12:53 PM

Take some pics.

mossbergman11/OH 05-31-2009 05:43 PM

ill get them tomorrow and post em up

bowmanaj 06-01-2009 11:14 PM

Nice.. it will come up patchy sometimes the first year but if you maintain it, it will take. One of my little clover plots is currently ina battle with grass thats trying to out compete it. [:-]Just cutting was doing the job, but now it looks like I have no choice but to but to spray. I'll be checking on a new strip of clover that came up patchy, that I re-seeded right before 2 weeks ofLOTS of rain and lots of sun, temps in the 70's/80's. Hopes are high, but we'll see. I'll post some pics also, after Iget back from the farm this weekend.