Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

planting turnips?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default planting turnips?

is there a specific type of turnip that the deer like more? where i can i get the seed...a local store or farm market???
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: planting turnips?

I am going toplant "purple top" turnips for the first timethis year for a late season plot. I have heard a lot of good things about them. Your best bet is to look at your local seed and feed/ farm and garden store. You can get them at places like Gurneys, but I'd imagine your local seed and feed store will have cheaper prices per pound.

I have a thread asking questions about turnips, its probably on one of the next few pages ofthreads...it was a few weeks ago. Igot a lot of good info from forum memberson seedbed prep, types of brassicas, etc.., it may help you.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have Barkant, Barnopoli, and Pasja hybrid, varieties for 73 dollars per 25 lb bag. PM me for details,

Email [email protected]

Old 05-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I planted some purple top turnips in a small "snack size" patch to test their effectiveness last year, the deer didn't even touch them until January when our last hunting period had passed, then they tore them up. Go figure...
Old 06-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Bullseye is a turnip/rape designed for plots, not too spendy either.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is a turnip that is called deer turnip as well.. I read about it on habitatnow..
Old 06-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.welterseed.com/productItems.aspx?id=3&org=0

This link will take you straight to the brassica page. At the bottom of the page there will be purple top turnips. At the top of the page will be some other types of turnips. Click on the name of the plant and it will give you information about them and their price.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I use Samson turnips. There are 125,000 seeds to a pound for $4.00. I planted afew pounds and they grow to the size of an apple. There were none left come the following spring and they wont touch them until the first killer frost. They are starch and after the first frost they turn to sugar and deer love them
Old 11-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought a pound from the feed store. Purple Top Turnips to be Exact I guess Im just going to broadcast it and hope it comes up. I'll let yall know in a few weeks.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Purple tops will draw deer just fine. The deer will paw through the snow for them all winter. They will provide the deer on you land with a great winter food source.

Quick Reply: planting turnips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.