Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

1st food plot

Old 05-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st food plot

I saw a 1/2 price bag of Premium Perennial and thought I'd give it a go.This is my first attempt at a food plot. It's only 350' long and 8' to 10' wide but it's a start.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 1st food plot

Looks good so far. Good luck hunting it this coming season.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Looks great. How long ago did you plant it?
Old 05-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I planted it March 24th.I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the brassicas are almost a foot tall.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

well it looks good. Now hope the deer like it.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Nice looking plot flstnhd !! I see at least 4 different kinds of clover, brassicas (rape) and chicory. If that was mine I would clip the brassicas off. It is a good possibility the brassicas will shade and crowd out the clover which is outstanding as far as how it came up for you! Plus the brassicas will soon send up a yellow flowering seed head and die. Where as the clover and chicory could last 4 to 5 years. Either way you have great looking plot! And way to go in making wise use of a power line. If the deer don't hammer the clover and chicory, they oughta be shot!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tip haystack. How do I go about clipping off the brassicas ? Hard to tell from the pics I put up but they seem to have come up in "clumps". I guess that's just how the seed came out of the spreader ?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

This sounds like a lot of work, but a string trimmer/weed eater is what I would use, to keep from damaging the clover and chicory. The chicory is the plant that has the long slender light green leaf and I would try to spare that plant from being cut. Honestly I don't believe the deer will feed on the brassicas this time of year anyway.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks haystack. I've read where the deer usually don't eat them til after a frost which causes them to sweeten up. Is the chickory the grass like one in the center of this pic ? I think a weed eater won't be too bad since it's not that big of an area.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

No, its the one right in front of the grass. It's two sprigs of it in right in front of both blades of grass. That stuff is absolute deer candy, and it will stand up to dry weather when the clover might struggle. If you keep an eye on the brassicas, it will get a bud coming out of the center of the plant, that would be the best time to clip it. If you cut to soon, it might try to come back.

Quick Reply: 1st food plot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.