Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Cutting Down trees

Old 05-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cutting Down trees

There's certain parts of our property that are starting to get pretty mature and there is very little underbrush anymore. we haven't seen many deer at all on these parts of our land since there is not much cover. i was thinking of cutting most of the mature trees down to create some underbrush and give it some sunlight so more underbrush can grow, what do you guys thinks
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cutting Down trees

An alternative to cutting them down, if you don't have the equipment to move the trees after you cut them. Go to the farm supply and tell them you want a quart or so of herbacide, 2 4 D or something similar. Take a hatchet or machete and hack around the tree cutting down thru the cabium layer, then spray the herbacide in the hack. It will kill the tree and gradually the limbs will rot off opening up the canopy.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

instead of moving them after i cut them down, i was just planning on hinge cutting them and leaving all of them, that way the downed trees would also create a lot of ground cover.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Have a logger cut your mature trees. You will get paid, the tops can be left for cover, and new growth will start the same year.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Robv2007, you are going to have a difficult time trying to hinge mature trees.

Depending on the type of trees, you may get your best results cutting in the winter. I cut a lot of Red Maple, but I do the vast majority of my cutting January through March.

I keep my hinge cutting to trees with trunk diameters no larger than 4 inches.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

In addition to whats been mentioned, trees larger than 4 to 6 inches have a tendency to break off. I would not attempt hinge cutting mature trees, way to dangerous.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Soilman

Have a logger cut your mature trees. You will get paid, the tops can be left for cover, and new growth will start the same year.
a big x2 on that. we got paid 500 dollars for a logger to cut down 5 trees once
Old 05-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having them logged is a winner for me as well. Make yourself some extra change for food plots or toys.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, wintere is the best time to do most of your cutting. like you, we had a mature stand of oaks, but many of them were suffering from oak wilt. These trees were GIGANTIC. I mean, a few hundred years old and we cut them and left them lay. we are not as concerned with money as we are with the deer cover.. It also will break down slowly and provide lots of cover for small game.. I'm not sure how you cut your trees, but this is how we do it-- first, try to look and cut the tree in the natural way the tree is leaning so it soesnt fight you the whole way.. then, cut on a slight diagonal downwards in the direction you plan to drop the tree, (make sure to try and find a pathway that will offer the least hang up in the tree's canopy because that is a very dangerous situation) then make a horizontal cut going from the outside of tree and meet with the bottom of your diagonal cut, (a wedge should come out of the tree) then come from the back side of the tree and cut horizontally and eventually meet up with your wedge.. I found this is the best way to drop mature trees.. hope this helps..
Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

bucks love to rut in those parts that are open and they can see a greater distance.

Quick Reply: Cutting Down trees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.