Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

how to get rid of stumps?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default how to get rid of stumps?

im planting a food plot in one of our fields and there are some stumps that when we hit them with the plow it busts shear pins. i need to get rid of them now. any advice of how to get rid of these stumps?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how to get rid of stumps?

Need a little more info. How old are the stumps? Any idea what kind of trees? What size (diameter)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've burned stumps out, andalso killed 2 birds with1 stone by turning the stump into a mineral lick..

But if you need them gone NOW, then get some buddies, shovels, chainsaws, and axes/hatchets.. I would say beer is also required, but I think you have a few moreyears to go..

Redneck Stump Removal Service: (555-546-1111)

Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Excavator
Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

just rent a stump grinder for a couple hours, it doesnt get them completely gone but you can get them several inches below the dirt, thats what we did for about a dozen of our big stumps.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Don't hit them with your plow.

Wait a few years and they'll decompose.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

Need a little more info. How old are the stumps? Any idea what kind of trees? What size (diameter)
cedar trees i believe, the diamater is form 3 inches to 10 inches. 2-3 years old. we tried drilling holes in them and pour diesel on them and burn them but it didnt work too well. for now i will just avoid them so i dont break any more shear pins on my plow[:@]
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those aren't very big, you could use a stump grinder, as mentioned, or save your money and put in the work. Stumps can sometimes be a pain in the.... but if you don't wanna spend money, I think you and your buddies could get it done with some elbow grease.

Let us know how it turns out
Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Like you said, the stumps need to be removed so there's no more plow busting. Those size stumps could probably be lifted out with a backhoe.
Maybe someone nearby has one and would rent or loan it for a few hours, or better yet bring over and lift out the stumps for a few bucks. If not one nearby, rent one and DIY.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

we have the same problem with a foodplot we are putting in this year.. lots of stumps. in 2 hours, we were only able to dig out, and chop all the roots and teh tap root of 3 stumps. However, unlike you, these are about 18-24 inch dia. stumps. I agree with bowmanaj when he says just get a bunch of buddies together and put in the hard work. For me, the more hard work i put in, the more i appreciate when I harvest a deer over the foodplots I planted becuase I think about all the hardwork I put in, in puttin in that foodplot..

Quick Reply: how to get rid of stumps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.