HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Competing leaders on crab apple. questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/292322-competing-leaders-crab-apple-questions.html)

bowmanaj 04-19-2009 10:24 PM

Competing leaders on crab apple. questions

The semi-dwarfyellow delicious trees and the"profusion" crab apple I planted a couple weeks ago are doing well so far andjust started blooming. I was worried about transplanting the prof. crabapple because itsalready 8-9 feet tall, and bloomingbright purple, doingwell.But, I do have a question about a crab apple I planted in 2008.Its lookinggoodbut i have 2issues. 1st, some kind of insect is chewing on the leaves (not too bad though) butwhats a good spray? 2nd, that '08 crabapplehas competing leaders and I want toknow what I shoulddo.

ShouldI let it continue as a "Y", and make a shorter bushier tree, or prune off a leader? I don't mind having a shorter,wider tree. But what would produce more?

Thanks for any info..

haystack 04-20-2009 08:14 AM

RE: Competing leaders on crab apple. questions

Good questions Bowman, I have very little knowledge on crabapple trees, but the question on the spray I might have a starting point. Imidan 70wp would take care of most insect problems, I use it on my apple trees and potato plants with fairly good results, most "good sprays" are restricted use, and I hardly ever grow completely blimmish free fruit. Another spray I use is a broad spectrum formula made by Bonide and its labeled Fruit Tree spray, I know that sounds a little vague, but that is the name. It is best to start spraying while the trees are still dormant and repeat as weather and the directions call for such as green tip stage, bud stage, petal fall and so on. Careful not to kill bees during pollination time.

The pruning question is a little more difficult, it appears from what information I could find the Profusion crabapple is a spreading or weeping type tree getting as wide as it does tall, so I'm not sure if pruning a main leader is the correct thing. I know if "water sprouts" or "suckers" form on the trunk, they should be removed, and some that grow strait up on the lateral limbs should be removed. I will be talking to a guy mid-week that is a apple tree expert, and I will see if he has any suggestions, he's geared more toward apple trees and I'm not sure what experience he has with crabapple trees though. If I find anything I'll let you know.

bowmanaj 04-20-2009 03:08 PM

RE: Competing leaders on crab apple. questions

Ok I'm gonna look into those sprays. Its not too bad, I just don't want it get bad.
Thanks for the info, that definitelyhelps.