Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

All About Food Plots

Old 04-09-2009, 02:09 PM

Default All About Food Plots

Hi Guys! I am wanting to start a food plot in our back yard. I live in NE Indiana and have a creek to the right of us and wodds on both sides that farther on connect to a big woods. I know deer like oats, alfalfa, andwheat. I know there is a mix you can use.I didnt know what tips you have for me or how much differenttypes cost. Also any discs or anything you use for food plotting.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: All About Food Plots

One of the first steps in successful food plots is taking a soil sample, if you need advice on how that's done, just ask. Second thing to determine is whether or not you can do the tillage, in most cases it takes a good bit of horsepower to prepare the initial plot. Maybe a local farmer would be willing to help, you could also rent the needed equipment. After these things are done/considered, we will be better able to help, there is quite a few members here with food plot experience and at least one soil scientist. So feel free to ask any questions you need help with.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 AM

Do you know of any mixtures that have alfalfa and clover or maybe oats?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

There could be. I prefer to make my own mix with seeds purchased at the local feed-n-seed store.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once you know more about your soil, you'll beable to make a better decision about what to plant. Your clover,alfalfa,wheat idea is good because it will cover both early and late seasons.You couldthrow some oats in there for late season also. As for seed mixes, you can easily find many kinds on the internet but as already mentioned, getting them at your local seed and feed is a way cheaper route. Plus you can decide for yourself how much of each plant type you want in the mix, however some kinds willdo better with afixed ratio of different seed types.

But Haystack is right, there are people in this forum that defitinitely know their stuff when it comes to foodplots, soil, plant species, etc..
They have helped me a lot, all you have to do is ask. Good luck to you, have fun.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Soil test, knowing PH is most important. How big is the area? Shaded, or how many hours of sun? Is it grass/lawn now? If so, killing the grass, then broadcast white clovers, allowing the clover to sprout out of the dead grass mulch. Very easy, no tillage required.