Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 What are you doing to your properties this year? >

What are you doing to your properties this year?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What are you doing to your properties this year?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What are you doing to your properties this year?

So what are you guys doing to your properties this year? Im going to make a few new mineral licks, possibly plant some food plots, tear down some old permanent stands and build a tower stand for gun hunting. I have 17 acres of hay fields that will be harvested for the first time this year, so im looking forward to what that is going to bring come deer/turkeyseason. Ill keep this post updated with pictures of my progress.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What are you doing to your properties this year?

So far I have had a lime truck come in to get the pH back up to 6.5. Also refreshed my mineral supplement sites, and fertilized the clover to wake it up from winter. Will be time to plant a few acres of corn in a couple weeks. We are going to have tons of soybeans on the farm this year so warm season forage is already taken care of. I am probably going to have to re-do a few half acre clover/chicory patches this fall, unless we have a great summer.Some of the spots are getting thin.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

I'm getting geared up for quite a few projects. Looks like the deer and other wildlife came through the winter here in excellent shape. Things are starting to grow, clover and alfalfa looks good, but we need rain bad. It is calling for it next couple of days, so no need to worry yet. Done sprayed the fruit trees once and will have to many times. Minerals was put out about 3 weeks ago.

Planning on planting oats next week and corn and soybeans in a month or so. Had good luck with soybeans last year, they done the deer some good last fall. Any free chance I get in the summer you can usually find me watching the food plots, that is serious enjoyment in my opinion. I'll post some pictures from time to time also.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM

Cut wood, dig holes for trespassers, mow.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I limed and fertilized last summer, and a new clover/alfalfa plot is going in this weekend, but I will most likely wait for right before a good rain. Hoping the weatherman is right about rain saturday evening.A smallwinter wheat plot will go in late august/early sept.. Spent last weekend at the farm with a bobcat/brush-hog attachment, some chainsaws, rakes, atv's, and friends. For as much fun as we had, it was a productive weekend.

There is also a 1/4 acre of corn going in (forthe family and friendsto eat, some will be left for deer). Last year i planted 4 crab apples and 2 red delicious apple trees. I bought 4more today at big lots pretty cheap but their trees alwayslook good. I pruned the trees I planted last year and they are getting leaves now. Sunflowers will go around one edge of the pond. In the winter I built some duck boxes for the pond also. Other than that, just more stands going up. I will post pics in a few months once everything is growing good.

Caleb--keep us updated, sounds awesome
Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will do Adam.

Brainstorming today, i decided to make a few permanent "blinds" on some field edges with camo netting and wood i have laying around. This way, i can use all the stuff i have, and not have to worry about dangerous homemade stands.

My homemade stands are solid, and good in theory, but the high winds and bad weather we have here in Ohio make it really tough to upkeep the stands.

Im also going to put new bolts and re-paint all my permanent stands. I will probably replace the ratchet straps too to be on the safe side.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Spike

Attached is a picture of my 80 acres.

For this year the SE 14 acres will be in corn. I've planted 3 crabapples and a pear tree on the western shore of the pond.Slightly west of Stand 2, I've put in 2 Arkansas Black apple trees, 1 Translucent crabapple and 2 sawtooth oaks. All planted trees were in the 6-8 ftheight range. I'm also fertilizing all theoaks I've managed to find.

The whole place is a work in progresss and we're adding as we go.

Chuck

Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Chuck, That is a very nice piece of property! Looks like its got it all, that pond or ponds is extremely valuable for all kinds of wildlife. Probably some good fishing too. Good luck and let us know how your progress goes.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a great property chuck, keep up the good work!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Spike

hey caleb, i am replanting an old clover patch, planting wheat/rye on the new 2 acres of pasture this fall(pending soil test), and planting turnips on the rest of the ground.
YELLOW= old clover patch
GREEN= new plots
ORANGE= turnips/rape
RED= fence line (cattle use pastures)
BLUE DOTS= current treestand locations

Quick Reply: What are you doing to your properties this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.