Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 What are you doing to your properties this year? >

What are you doing to your properties this year?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What are you doing to your properties this year?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What are you doing to your properties this year?

Tom, looks good. Keep us posted.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Will do Adam.

Brainstorming today, i decided to make a few permanent "blinds" on some field edges with camo netting and wood i have laying around. This way, i can use all the stuff i have, and not have to worry about dangerous homemade stands.

My homemade stands are solid, and good in theory, but the high winds and bad weather we have here in Ohio make it really tough to upkeep the stands.

Im also going to put new bolts and re-paint all my permanent stands. I will probably replace the ratchet straps too to be on the safe side.
I was also planning on making a couple of permanent blinds. A spot I just planted with alfalfa/clover has zero good trees to hang a stand, but good enough cover to make a good blind set up. We could even set one up on a good bigfoot trailLike you said, Discovery channel will be knockin our doors down wanting a piece
Old 04-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Spike

Thanks guys.
Right now like some others I’m "land rich" and equipment poor, my inventory consists of: 2 chainsaws, a Stihl Weedwacker, and my pickup. The "light" areas in the picture are where the PO maintained food plots, either corn or beans. Once I have a tractor I plan on redoing at least one, the one on the western edge is going to becaome part of a pasture.

My neighbor brushhogs around the pond for me, hays and has planted the corn on a 30-70 share deal. He also keeps an eye on the place as we live 15 miles away in town.

So for now, I’m focusing on planting trees and putting up stands/clearing shoot lanes. I’ve also established two mineral licks using trophy rocks that get quite a bit of traffic in the spring. I run the deer feeder with a mix of corn/soy beans from 1 Sept through MAY/June depending on when the last refill runs out. The feeder is in the middle of a wild persimmons tree "grove" of about 12 trees on the south end of the pond. I have 3 stands up, and a portable ground blind that I move depending on what trails they’re using along the rub line.

So far, based on Game camera pics around the feeder, my "herd" consists of 4 does, 2 fawns, 2 large fat raccoons, a surly possum, and "something" that looks like a muskrat. I don’t get the bucks coming through till just pre-rut through a few weeks after the rut is finished. I’m attempting to increase the number of does I "hold" and hopefully the bucks will follow.

I’m thinking about putting in a Honeysuckle patch in my "deer engagement area" south of stand 1 and west of stand 2.

Besides trees, anybody have any ideas on what other improvements I can make now with limited equipment?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Well we planted 3000 more trees and are planting 30 acres in Little Blue Stem, Indian Grass and Switch grass. Our clover we planted last year between our tree rows has really came up good this year. Hoping it keeps the ragweed down a little bit. I know ragweed is good for birds but I'm highly allergic to that crap. Here is an older photo with all the changes we've done and future projects.