Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Will bears kill manchurian crab apple trees, and do deer like their fruit? >

Will bears kill manchurian crab apple trees, and do deer like their fruit?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Will bears kill manchurian crab apple trees, and do deer like their fruit?

Old 04-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Will bears kill manchurian crab apple trees, and do deer like their fruit?

I pulled up a site that sells them pretty cheaply, and says deer, turkey and grouse love them, they like acidic and well drained soil, and put off fruit within a few years. My question is, do deer really like it and when does it drop fruit? Late fall I hope.

Also, will bears kill it? I realize I have to put up an obstruction for the deer, but nothing I can think of will keep bears from getting to them. I want opinions before I sink the money and effort into planting some of these. I have an area that has downed trees in it and want to plant something that will draw deer late in the fall without having to worry about the bears tearing them down.

Thanks! By the way, the other field will be planted according to advice I have received from you all in the past. I am still waiting for it to get dry enough for a lime truck to get back in there!

Doug
Old 04-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will bears kill manchurian crab apple trees, and do deer like their fruit?

Deer like crab apples. Plant a few and let everyone know how it turned out.

Dan O.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:30 AM

Default RE: Will bears kill manchurian crab apple trees, and do deer like their fruit?

In my area we have some old crab apple trees that people planted from many years back. The would clear an area in the mountains and plant some trees. Thing was there were no deer and bear then. Current problems are the areas around the trees have grown and appear to be chocking the apples trees out. Some years they have apples some they don' t. They deer do like the apples and in previous years these areas had been a favorite place of mine to hunt. Especially if other mast is light.

Have also had opportunities to take bear at the trees with my bow. So yes the bears will come to get the apples and like any other apple tree they will climb them and break the limbs down. My suggestion would be to try just a couple of trees to see how they make it against the bear. Older trees that they have broken the limbs on appear to do fine it acts like a pruning to them, but in new trees I am not sure. Where did you find the trees to buy, I might be interested as well.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wigmap,

It is a place called, I believe, " Trupes" in Pennsylvania. I have their website saved at work and I am at home now. Their price is roughly $11 a tree if you buy at least 10 with free shipping, and they have three types of apple trees too, ones that drop early, mid and late. I will put the exact information on here Monday if you want. Just say so. By the way, the guy told me that they come about 4 or 5 feet tall and last about a week to 10 days before you have to plant them.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dan O.,

Thanks for all your advice over the past few years. I have printed out many of my posts with your feedback on it and will put it to use as soon as I can get things done. My cabin will be built within a month or two, and I should be able to do some planting on my field (cleared) and clearing (not cleared of felled trees) by the fall.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug; I think everyone here enjoys sharing they' re experiences. While I was planting trees on the weekend I found some nice fresh Bear poop. It was located near an old apple tree. So I assume they were rummaging for any windfall apples left over from last year.

Do you really have that many Bears in MD?

Dan O.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dan,

I live in Maryland. The land I own is in West Virginia. There are several bears around the land in West Virginia every year.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

That' s definitely bear country.

Dan O.