HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Forage Soybeans (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/289701-forage-soybeans.html)

USFWC 03-20-2009 04:16 PM

Forage Soybeans

If anyone needs some forage soybeans, let me know! I know of a good source for Eagle Seeds' Forage Soybeans...these things are amazing. I've seen them get chest high on top of a mountain in SE Oklahoma. If they can do that there, they can grow well anywhere. These are the best you can get, I guarantee it.

One, 50-lb bag plants 1 acre:
Wildlife Manager's Mix - $75.00/bag
...plus shipping, which varies depending on where you're located.

Regular RR Ag Soybeans are $45.43/bag, which are also available.

Just PM me for more info or e-mail me at [email protected]

timbercruiser 03-20-2009 06:29 PM

RE: Forage Soybeans

Do you know which types are recommended for different soils or locations?

USFWC 03-20-2009 07:16 PM

Most of these are late-maturing, but the Manager's Mix has group 4 soybeans in it...that still somewhat favors southern climates, but northerners can still use it for great forage production without seed set. They accept a wide variety of soil types. As long as they don't have water standing in them for any period of time, they should do well most anywhere as long as there is adequate organic matter in the soil and the plants receive adequate moisture for germination. What are your soils like there where you are in FL? Sandy, I presume?

timbercruiser 03-21-2009 06:27 PM

Yes, varies from a thin sand over clay base to a deep sand.

USFWC 03-22-2009 08:06 PM

I wouldn't attempt a planting of them in the deep sand areas...possibly in the thin sand over clay, but if it has a tendency to inundate, I wouldn't try it.

USFWC 04-11-2009 07:34 AM

FYI...just have the Wildlife Manager's Mix and the Ag beans available now...need your orders a.s.a.p. if you want some!

MathewsShooter30 04-12-2009 08:13 PM

how are these for southeastern ohio??

USFWC 04-14-2009 09:04 AM

Perfect area for them. What kind of site?

MathewsShooter30 04-14-2009 10:23 AM

fairly good soil... haven't did a ph on it yet

the lot had a clover mix around 5 years ago on it...

gjs4 05-03-2009 03:54 PM

what are the differences in the mixes? any idea what shipping would be to 14040?

thanks

USFWC 05-14-2009 08:14 PM

Orders have been sent out...thanks to all that have placed one!

gjs4...Large Lad has 1 forage soybean geared towards height growth (up to 7 feet tall)
...Big Fellow has 1 forage soybean that has been produced to grow a larger leaf area with the highest potential amount of overall biomass of all the beans
...Wildlife Manager's Mix has the Large Lad soybean with a vining soybean called 'Whitetail Thicket' and 2 earlier-maturing beans as well so that some seed sets...the mix of the 'Large Lad' is good because it provides something for the Whitetail Thicket bean to climb up on.

...right now though all I have available is the Wildlife Manager's Mix though or I'd get into all of them. When I have a few more minutes, I'll let you know aboutthe other mixes as well...thanks for asking! :)

kdsberman 05-15-2009 11:21 AM

Would those forage soybeans be a good late season food plot to hunt over? Like even when there is snow on the ground?

USFWC 05-15-2009 01:44 PM

...very good, especially if you broadcast some turnips into them come mid-July or so for you northerners. A RoundUp Ready corn with this would work well, too, planted as a mix.

USFWC 05-19-2009 03:22 PM

I still have some bags left if anyone needs any!:)

USFWC 05-28-2009 08:44 AM

Howdy, all. I do not have much left, so I need to respectfully request to those that have asked for a bag (or bags) that have not followed through on payment or with returning the MTA to me to please do so as soon as possible or let me know if you plan not to so I may make the seed available to other people. The beans, I'm sure, would be tasty, but I am just not rich enough to eat them if I were to hold them to the end of planting season. Thanks, everyone!

kdsberman 05-28-2009 11:36 AM

I might be interested in buying some...ill let you know.

I have a couple questions though:

1) Can I just spread the seed and work it over with a lawn roller? I dont have access to anything bigger really.

2) Is it still an ok time to plant them?

Thanks

USFWC 05-28-2009 12:46 PM

I wouldn't recommend just broadcasting them and cultipacking without disking/tilling the ground first. If that is your only food plot technique option for now, I'd suggest either frost seeding some clover into an area for a perennial plot or broadcasting a mix of wheat, oats and Austrian winter peas in mid-September for a fall hunting plot.

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

1) Can I just spread the seed and work it over with a lawn roller? I dont have access to anything bigger really.

Thanks

kdsberman 05-28-2009 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: USFWC

I wouldn't recommend just broadcasting them and cultipacking without disking/tilling the ground first. If that is your only food plot technique option for now, I'd suggest either frost seeding some clover into an area for a perennial plot or broadcasting a mix of wheat, oats and Austrian winter peas in mid-September for a fall hunting plot.

Thanks

Actually, I do have access to a tractor and a small disc. So, i do plan on working the ground first, definetly. But I dont have access to a drill, so i was hoping broadcasting it and working it in would work.

USFWC 06-03-2009 12:34 PM

Let me know how it goes!

ORIGINAL: USFWC

Thanks

Actually, I do have access to a tractor and a small disc. So, i do plan on working the ground first, definetly. But I dont have access to a drill, so i was hoping broadcasting it and working it in would work.

kdsberman 06-05-2009 05:13 PM

Im waiting for it in the mail right now. Hopefully it isnt too late to plant. Ill let ya know.

USFWC 06-09-2009 09:12 AM

Im waiting for it in the mail right now. Hopefully it isnt too late to plant. Ill let ya know.
You haven't received it yet?

kdsberman 06-09-2009 10:27 AM

Actually just got it yesterday! I have to work midnights tonight and tomorrow night, so hopefully i can get it in the ground either Thursday or Friday. We just got a big rain, so hopefully the ground will stay moist.

USFWC 06-12-2009 03:28 PM

Actually just got it yesterday! I have to work midnights tonight and tomorrow night, so hopefully i can get it in the ground either Thursday or Friday. We just got a big rain, so hopefully the ground will stay moist.
We've had to delay some of our plantings here because of all the rain and a little flooding. I've only gotten a few acres planted so far. With a few dry days in a row though, we'll have them in the ground in no time. Good luck with your planting, bud. Keep me updated on how they progress!

kdsberman 06-12-2009 07:58 PM

Well, its supposed to rain tomorrow, but im gonna try and get them in before it rains. They say to plant them right before a rain, so.. Plus for the next week its supposed to be close to 80 degrees. Should be perfect conditions as long as i can get them in before the rain hits.