Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer adopted me!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM

Default RE: Deer adopted me!

ORIGINAL: Red Hawk

I admit, that is pretty neat story and great pictures -For all its coolness, I could understand the drawbacks when it gets older.

I wish I had that kind of affect on women. Are you using the new Axe bodyspray or something?
It smells me all the time and since I am in the woods all the time, I pee everywhere so I guess he associated my smells as non threatening. I firmly believe the ATV is what originally attractedhim. Hard to believe but at first he would just follow me everwhere when I was on it.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

ORIGINAL: Red Hawk

I admit, that is pretty neat story and great pictures -For all its coolness, I could understand the drawbacks when it gets older.

I wish I had that kind of affect on women. Are you using the new Axe bodyspray or something?
It smells me all the time and since I am in the woods all the time, I pee everywhere so I guess he associated my smells as non threatening. I firmly believe the ATV is what originally attractedhim. Hard to believe but at first he would just follow me everwhere when I was on it.

Yes I agree with that, especially since ATVs are so loud. I'm only guessing here but it almost sounds like he was an 'pet' for someone when he was younger and then released when he was older.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got an idea...

Put one of these...

... into one of these...

... then you can put him in one of these...

... and he won't follow you around anymore!

Mike
Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

You said you are in the middle of the woods,so I think there is one of two possibilites.

The first possibility is the mother was killed or it was separated from its mother,and someone took care of it for a time. This could cause it to not fear humans. It is unusual for a deer thatyoung to not be with its mother. Sometimes the motherwill chase off their youngduring the rut, but they usually group back up after the rut. It is not unusual for a deer to remain with its mother for two years.

The second possibility is that it could have rabies. Before a rabid animal becomes agressive, they quite often become very friendly. Beware if you see a friendlybadger, skunk, racoon,fox or coyote. I know of a farmer who thought a cow of hiswas choking on something. He had his hand in the back of its throat trying to remove what the cow was choking on. He finally called out a vet, and it was determined the cow had rabies.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: country1

You said you are in the middle of the woods,so I think there is one of two possibilites.

The first possibility is the mother was killed or it was separated from its mother,and someone took care of it for a time. This could cause it to not fear humans. It is unusual for a deer thatyoung to not be with its mother. Sometimes the motherwill chase off their youngduring the rut, but they usually group back up after the rut. It is not unusual for a deer to remain with its mother for two years.

The second possibility is that it could have rabies. Before a rabid animal becomes agressive, they quite often become very friendly. Beware if you see a friendlybadger, skunk, racoon,fox or coyote. I know of a farmer who thought a cow of hiswas choking on something. He had his hand in the back of its throat trying to remove what the cow was choking on. He finally called out a vet, and it was determined the cow had rabies.
[align=left]Rabies is extremely rare in white-tailed deer, with 0-2 cases reported annually from 1980-1990 in the United States.The highest incidence of rabies in deer occurred in 1991 when 8 cases were reported, 7 of which were in New Jersey, New York, and Maryland.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]There are 20 Million deer in the United States. Whats the odds??[/align]
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 PM

Haven't seen him in 3 days, guess the Rabies got him!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's in the freezer, isn't he?!

We won't tell.

Mike

Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow thats not something you see very often.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thats pretty amazing. I hope you see him again sometime. Here in WI, I know of some people that have deer that'll come up to them to be scratched and itched. It seems like, if they are comfortable with you, they wont run off... and most deer are typically "herd" animals.. usually traveling in groups.. so, if he doesnt have a little herd of his own, maybe that's why he sticks around you... your his protection and herd... jsut a thought.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Amazing

Quick Reply: Deer adopted me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.