Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best Mineral Block

Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best Mineral Block

I am wanting to put out a couple mineral licks on a new area im hunting and cant decide on what to use. So please tell me what you use and if ya got and pics of mineral ruts from that product then lets see em.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Mineral Block

You could make your own mineral mixtures, there are a lot of home brew mixtures for wildlife on the internet. Last year I used deer cane and white tail institute's 30-06, mixed together in the same mineral site. Bucks and does that are nursing will hit it hard through spring and summer. Ive heard some people not liking deer cane, but on my sites, they've dug out the ground in and around the site to over 10 inches deep, and that is just one year. I am trying "buck jam" this year in front of my trail cams, along with what worked welllast year. I think you'll enjoy watching them dig and chew at whatever you put the minerals in. A fellow HNI member recomended "buck jam" to me, and I'll be covering a rotting stump with it.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3316333

scroll about halfway down
Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

I use a mix, and I got it off the internet like bowman said.
1 bag of sweetlix cattle mineral....$15.00...50lbs
1 bag loose white salt....$5.40...50lbs
1 bag di-calcium phosphate...$14.00...50lbs

I mix 4 or 5lbs at a time, and put it out once in early spring and again mid-summer
will last YEARS
Old 03-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Spike

thats impressive haystack you will need a dozer to fill in that hole.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

When it was still legal in Michigan I used Trophy Rock.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take 50 pounds of trace mineral salt and mix it with 50 pounds of Di-Cal, dig two holes pour in half of the mixture in each hole and dig in some dirt with it. About nine bucks per lick and as good as any of the high price name brand materials.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over the years I have tried everything to get deer in front of my cams from Trophy Rock to home made mineral licks to Deer Cane and Buck Jam and the best thing I have found is generic 50lb. mineral blocks that you can get at your local feed store for $6.00 each. I have gotten pics of hundreds of bucks using these blocks over the last 2 years.
I dont know what ingredients, salt or trace minerals etc. are in them but then again I dont really care since mineral blocks, licks etc. do nothing to benefit the herd but the deer sure do like them!! Pike

Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Lamb Mineral Blocks at Tractor Supply contain a better percentage of minerals then the reg. salt blocks. They have more D-Cal, Phosporus, and only a small amount of trace salt, plus flavoring. When it was ok to use them in NY the deer tore them up big time. I figured if going to put something out for them it should be good for them, not just an attractant.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck Alley mineral blocks, licks etc. do not benefit the herd in any way other than providing a source of salt. Pike

Quick Reply: Best Mineral Block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.