Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Edge cover/berries??

Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Edge cover/berries??

Hoping you guys can give me some advice/info... There's a certain spot I wanna create more edge cover on the edge of a long narrow (hunting) plot of extreme on one side bordered by brassicas for late season.. I know the importance of having transition zomes and not abrupt edges, so......

What do you guys know about huckleberry seed and ground cherry seed? Is it easy to maintain?/will it spread fast?? Ive had luck in the past hunting over berries in late december, but I know next to nothing about these species of plant. Im basically trying to kill 2 birds with one stone...creating a better "edge" that doubles as another food source. Good idea? Bad idea?? Advice?

Any info is greatly appreciated
Old 03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Edge cover/berries??

Both of the plants that you mention are in the nightshade family same as tomatoes. One variety of ground cherry grows wild in my area, so I would think they would fairly easy to grow. I have never known deer to use though. I do know were you can purchase the seed if you need it.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Check out your county (ornearby) Soil & Water Conservation District. They may have shrubs available for planting. Our DNR also sells trees/shrubs, and offers several different wildlife packages. They may not have the species you asked about, but there is an advantage to planting seedlings.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok.. Thanks guys. The one thing I wasn't sure about was the nutritional value to wildlife and whether they like it or not. I planted apple trees that hold their fruit late, but thats a long term deal. Hoping to create some more late season forage at the same time soI'll research the DNR opportunities. I noticed these plants in a Burgess Seed and Plant Co. catalog, but it didn't give enough information about the plant.

Thanks for the info
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

Bowman, you may want to look into honeysuckle. It makes a great transition zone, spreads well, is hardy and deer like it. It would be good on the South side. Deer eat the humming bird vine as well. Deer don't eat my blueberry bushes, which may be close to the huckleberry. Pole beans make a good transition food at the edge of a plot. I run them at the edge of the honeysuckle as a nitrogen fixer. They climb the honeysuckle then die out when it gets cold. I come back the next spring and till 1" deep where they were and they come back up.
Blessings
Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...ckleberry.html

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/ground_cherry.htm
Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very helpful info, thank you all
Old 03-05-2009, 05:19 AM

Bowman, you may want to look into honeysuckle. It makes a great transition zone, spreads well, is hardy and deer like it. It would be good on the South side. Deer eat the humming bird vine as well. Deer don't eat my blueberry bushes, which may be close to the huckleberry. Pole beans make a good transition food at the edge of a plot. I run them at the edge of the honeysuckle as a nitrogen fixer. They climb the honeysuckle then die out when it gets cold. I come back the next spring and till 1" deep where they were and they come back up.
Blessings
Bugflipper,

Where can you purchase Honeysuckle seeds from?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Check out "The Wildlife Group". They sell all kinds of plants for managing your game including honeysuckle.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Dave I got them here. http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/st...disp=info#INFO . They will pretty well take over a wood line or fence line by themselves. Just drop in a row at the edge. They stay green year round. If you scan wood lines in the spring odds are you will spot the wild white/yellow kind and can dig up and transplant. I have done that as well. They are not as thick or fast growing as the ones above though. You don't need to lime, just fertilize every Spring. They are very hardy and don't need it, but it will produce a lot more new growth. Here is a short article on wild honeysuckle.
http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/02/1...t-deer-forage/
Blessings

Quick Reply: Edge cover/berries??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.