Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Edge cover/berries??

Old 03-08-2009, 06:27 AM

Default RE: Edge cover/berries??

Bugflipper,

Thank you for the link. On the seeds that you told me about, how long do they take to establish and when is the best time to plant? If I plant them this spring, how much will they grow by this fall?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Mine the first year grew about 3 feet tall. Now is fine to plant. The berries drop late fall. So anytime before or during spring is fine. I would say 3 years to really get established. They drop seed the first year and every year after so try to space the seeds apart if you can. They will fill in thick. I fertilized the first fall, so not to burn the young plants. I now just do so each year since the protein in fall and winter is the highest.
Blessings

Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 AM

Did you have any trouble with the deer destroying it before it got established?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

No Sir. They don't feed on it heavy until winter. By that time it has a good enough root system it doesn't matter if they mow it to the ground it will come back ( I have done this to redo a fence). I have seen 150 or more deer in this food plot at one time. They did heavily graze the honeysuckle the first year. They just ate the leaves mostly. Very little damage to the vines besides every tip was eaten off. Every year since, they have thinned the leaves where they can reach. The vines are pretty hardy and drought tolerant.
Blessings
Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bugflipper

Dave I got them here. http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/store.php?seller=seedsandmore&pd=11372&dis p=info#INFO . They will pretty well take over a wood line or fence line by themselves. Just drop in a row at the edge. They stay green year round. If you scan wood lines in the spring odds are you will spot the wild white/yellow kind and can dig up and transplant. I have done that as well. They are not as thick or fast growing as the ones above though. You don't need to lime, just fertilize every Spring. They are very hardy and don't need it, but it will produce a lot more new growth. Here is a short article on wild honeysuckle.
http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/02/18/japanese-honeysuckle-is-great-deer-forage/
Blessings
I am in the process of doing this... Thank you for the insight. I know the deer around my house LOVE honeysuckle..I may be picking your brain about transplanting..

Thanks again for the info
Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dave at Work

Bowman, you may want to look into honeysuckle. It makes a great transition zone, spreads well, is hardy and deer like it. It would be good on the South side. Deer eat the humming bird vine as well. Deer don't eat my blueberry bushes, which may be close to the huckleberry. Pole beans make a good transition food at the edge of a plot. I run them at the edge of the honeysuckle as a nitrogen fixer. They climb the honeysuckle then die out when it gets cold. I come back the next spring and till 1" deep where they were and they come back up.
Blessings
Bugflipper,

Where can you purchase Honeysuckle seeds from?
LMAO