Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Monster grazing pirahnas.  A little food plot help please. >

Monster grazing pirahnas. A little food plot help please.

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Monster grazing pirahnas. A little food plot help please.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Monster grazing pirahnas. A little food plot help please.

Ok last year I planted Iron Clay peas. After the third week I counted 0ver 35 deer in my half acre plot one week. needless to say the plot was just a bunch of green sticks in less than a week. I just spoke with someone that said to plant clover because it could not be overgrazed. I am not sure this is true but it would be great if it is. So here is what I need to know.

1: What is the fastest growing plant/food plot that you feel can withstand a LOT of grazing.

2: My ph should be around 6 now and the soil is somewhat sandy. What plant likes this type.

3: I live in Florida and this plot gets a LOT of sunlight and in the summer tons of rain.

Ok so what would you plant?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Monster grazing pirahnas. A little food plot help please.

I'm not sure I know of any plant suitable for a food plot half acre in size and can stand up to that many deer. That many deer would devastate clover in an half acre plot. Alfalfa would work better than clover if it had a chance to get established. Some of the small grains might work. Sugar cane, sorghum and some of the millets might work. You are going to need a much bigger plot, say 4 or 5 acres at least to sustain that many deer. IMO
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Do like our leaders and charge a toll and tax the deer that come onto your food plot. That should help to reduce the numbers.

On the serious side, if your food plot is the only food plot like that in the area it may be hard to establish it. It will take two or three years before alfalfa gets established under good conditions.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

you could try spraying it with a deer repellent like plantskydd, which will allow it to get established. However if your deer density is that high you really need more acreage or less deer. start poking holes in some of those does!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

Peas really don't put out that much tonnage. Most say .5-1.5 tons per acre of forage. Chicory has a deep root and is harder to overgraze than a lot of forage. It can put out 18-24 tons per acre depending on strain(up to 70 some odd pounds per day). With the sand, the lime and fertilizer get washed out quicker than dirt. A good clover to put back nitrogen will help a lot. I like http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/chicory/ . I lime every year and fertilize twice a year on this plot since it's sand. You either need to increase plot size or get to thinning them out. That many deer in a little area is going to lead to disease since they poop where they eat.
Blessings
Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

In regards to my does I whack them as fast as I can. We have a lot of deer and everybody on the lease shoots them as fast as we can but I guess in Florida they just breed like crazy.

so you think chicory will grow well and provide more forage? I want to try something because the clay peas just get mowed down.

Is a 6 ph good for chicory?

Do deer like it as well as peas or should I even care? I mean they will readily forage on it correct.

A little more about my area is the fact that it is a tree plantaition. I am literally digging up the road and planting it due to the fact that there is zero available dirt except the roads.

so which should I try? Alfalfa, chicory, or?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

just got off the4 phone with whitetail institute. They suggested the type called "extreme". Any thoughts on this product?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would check more into alfalfa before I planted it. I thought it was not compatable with the Florida soils and temperatures. More acerage is the main thing you need. If it is leased land from a timber company, contact the forester in charge and see if they will work with you in establishing more areas. Yuchi arrowleaf clover works well in southern sandy soils, but nothing will stand that kind of grazing. Fertilizer applied to the native plants such as briar patches and honeysuckle might be a good option for you.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Extreme is a blend of plants that is suitable for less than ideal conditions, similar to what you have, but you stated earlier that your plot receives plenty of rainfall and sunshine. I would consider putting together a blend of my own with plants that are more nutritious. I would start with timbercruisers recommendations on Yuchi clover and add chicory and possibly a few peas. Here is a site you can get an idea on a price and some other options for your area. I'm not necessarily advocating this site, just using it as referance.

http://www.seedland.com/mm5/merchant..._Code=Wildlife.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

Our sand isn't quite like desert sand. There is enough organic matter to hold moisture.Also the water table is very high. I have chicory plus in Sanford. I am not knocking W.I. at all, they know more than any of us on this subject. But sand is generally associated with severe conditions. About anything will grow in FL if it can tolerate the heat. I have a small plot of extreme up near Ocalla It is good but doesn't produce as much as the chicory mix. I don't think alfalfa grows here. The people down the road pay $35 a square bail for their horses. They get theirs shipped in from TN. I would guess with it being that high that they are paying for the price of fuel and don't have a local source growing it.
Blessings

Quick Reply: Monster grazing pirahnas. A little food plot help please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.