Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Corn!?!?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn!?!?

Ok so I will probly go to the feed store and see what they got in terms of good corn seed.BTW I dont really care for organic stuff.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Hey mossberghunter93, It has not been mentioned, and maybe you already know. Corn needs allot of nitrogen,to get a decent ear. For fairly good ground i use 50 to 100lbs per acre. It usually takes 1lb of nitrogen to get 1 bushel of grain. Nitrogen has came down in price some, but its still high. If you got access, poultry litter is a good alternative. Also, sometimes feed stores that sell Seed corn will have a busted bag they will sell much cheaper.
Grown for grain, 1 bag will plant 2.5 to 3 acres, and will need up to 300lbs of nitrogen.

Hope that helps
Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

Ok so I will probly go to the feed store and see what they got in terms of good corn seed.BTW I dont really care for organic stuff.
Go to pheasants forever and get seed corn for $15 a bag round-up ready. The reason corn is in rows and spaced is because it has to eat (needs nutrients).
Redclub
Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Interesting read guys ... I felt like I just got educated on the corn industry!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Corn grown in rows is much more effecient to grow than broadcast. And its easier to spray - and essential if you plan to mechanically cultivate to control weeds.

True the deer don't care about rows.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

Hey mossberghunter93, It has not been mentioned, and maybe you already know. Corn needs allot of nitrogen,to get a decent ear. For fairly good ground i use 50 to 100lbs per acre. It usually takes 1lb of nitrogen to get 1 bushel of grain. Nitrogen has came down in price some, but its still high. If you got access, poultry litter is a good alternative. Also, sometimes feed stores that sell Seed corn will have a busted bag they will sell much cheaper.
Grown for grain, 1 bag will plant 2.5 to 3 acres, and will need up to 300lbs of nitrogen.

Hope that helps
Yeah I have heard of that working well as a fertilizer. I actually raise chickens and ducks for 4H/eggs/meat so I do get some manure and I'll figure out a way to spread it over my corn.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Mossberghunter93,

Good to hear you raise poultry, That manure has everything corn needs. It is usually best to apply it before you plant, anywhere from a month to right before the day you plant. Good luck spreading it though it will be work, but well worth it, And besides, Thats what makes country boys well COUNTRY BOYS. If you need any more info,let us know.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thanks haystack for your help ill keep you guys posted and ill eventually get some pics up.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Mossberghunter,
You will need to incorporate the manure. If you do not, most of the nitrogen willbe lostinto the air when the weather warms up.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you mean by that?

Quick Reply: Corn!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.