Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Homemade Treestands

Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Default Homemade Treestands

Hey Guys, I am looking to make some ladder stands. Now before you go saying it is cheaper to buy them I want mine to be custom, plus I have a good deal on lumber. Can any of you show me your stands or plans. thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Homemade Treestands

If you are going to use treated lumber be sure to use stainless screws or hot dipped galvanized nails. The treating fluid is salt based and will eat up regular nails.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

I have 6 homemade ladder stands. They were built about 5 years ago and they are still as sturdy today as they were then. We used treated everything, and like timbercruiser said we used galvanized nails. Our stands were 16' 4x4 for the legs. 2x4 for the steps and the platform base and 3/4" plywood for the platform itself. Then we used 2x4 for a railing. The railings were built after the stand was up, because it depends how the stand sits against the tree how you build a railing. The platform was 33"x30". This is plenty big, I know, but it makes it more comfortable and safer. You can get up and strech and move around a little bit without worrying about falling. They are tricky to get in a tree. You almost need a crotch that the platform area will lean in to. Sorry for all the description, but I can't find any pics of them on my computer to attach. As far as price, I think they cost us about $75-$80 a piece to build. It could be a little more today. They definately have pros and cons, but if you can get a good deal on the lumber and you have a couple of buddies to help you put them up they aren't a bad way to go.

I will try to find some pics.

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

My ladder stands are pretty simple and cost $20-$30 to build. They have a 2' by 2' seat and a folding foot rest. They are set upagainst the tree, fastened at the top, 2" by 4" stabilizers are screwed into the tree from the sides. There is a treated piece of 2" by 4" fastened to the bottom of the legs.There are holes in that treated piece for big spikes to hold it in the ground.