Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

help me plz!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Spike

Default help me plz!!!!

i want to plant a food plot in the spring but have knw idea wat to plant. i live in up state new york i dont have alot of room for a food plot only about 30 to 40 yards long and about 35 yard wide. i was thing about planting bionic but have knw idea i want something that the deer r gonna love. plz help!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help me plz!!!!

Go to your local FS, they will be able to help out. The very first thing you are going to want to do is a get a soil sample done. Based on that, your local FS will be able to tell you what all needs to be done to get your soil ready to be planted. Without this, it really does not matter what seed you put into the ground. I would suggust not buying a comercial product, but having your local FS mix you something. It cost a lot less and you can get exactly what you want. I love turnips, clover and rye grass mixed.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the wildlife management forum and ask questions. Ive gained a lot of knowledge about plots there.. Is this a harvest plot? A supplemental plot? Both?...Test your soil (ph level) and add fertilizer and plenty of lime if needed.There are also seed coating products to help ensure growthalso.And like kickinbuck said, ask questions at your local feed store. Clover is great, and for a plot that will attract deer throughout the late season, winter wheat and rye are good. The deer will hit the plot throughout the winter as long as the snow is not too deep that they cant scrape and dig to it..Good luck to you.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Spike

thanks for the help