Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

letting grass grow, or cutting it?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default letting grass grow, or cutting it?

i have a field where i have a stand now and this summer and spring i frequently cut it with our bushhog. there is a lot of cover in the middle of field made of honeysuckle, trees etc, and a lot of woods around the field. this year i have seen a lot of deer within 40 yards of me from my blind with the grass CUT. next year should i cut the grass or let it grow real tall?

if you want pictures i can get some just let me know
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: letting grass grow, or cutting it?

It's somewhat of a 'Catch-22' when it comes to situations like this. Cutting the grass can generate fresh, green growth which is highly attractive to deer. However, letting it grow provides ample cover which is very, very crucial in holding deer in that area. You really can't go wrong either way
Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

It's somewhat of a 'Catch-22' when it comes to situations like this. Cutting the grass can generate fresh, green growth which is highly attractive to deer. However, letting it grow provides ample cover which is very, very crucial in holding deer in that area. You really can't go wrong either way
i think they have enough cover becasue i have seen a lot of deer there. im going to have foodlplots on either side of this field. i was thinking this would become like a haven for deer to be in kind of. will it hurt anything TO NOT CUT the grass or TO CUT the grass?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Well if you let it get tall enough for the fawns to hide in, you need to be careful you don't run them over with the brush hog. They will not move until momma comes to get them, even if your'e on top of them with the mower. Deer aren't big grass eaters anyway. Typically when seen in a field they are eating the herbaceous forbs (weeds) that are popping up in between the grasses. Most grasses, except when very young, have a high lignin (fiber)content, and aren't that nutritious or palatable for whitetails. You would be best served to keep the grass cut so the clover can thrive. I would try and eliminate as much of the grass as possible so the clovers don't have to compete with it for light and nutrients.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:28 PM

cut some leave some, if you can cut hay off some it removes a lot grass so forbes and clovers can come up. also be careful not to let too much dead grass build up itcould become a fire hazard
Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

how big is the field? i would cut strips or run a plow in strips just enough to break up the soil. it provides edge which enhances plant diversity. if the field is big enough and you want just to cut the thing leave at least a 30 feet space around the field of uncut grass"known as a field border" this also provides cover as well as edge.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tall grass is the preferred fawning habitat for deer. They like to fawn in tall grass, and they like to fawn a comfortable distance away from the edge. If you leave only the edge, they probably will not fawn there.

Unless food is a limiting resource, I would probably leave the grass alone, especially if you are going to do a food plot, anyway. I've seen and accidentally run over no telling how many fawns because neighboring landowners left no tall grass, so the deer fawned out in the wheat fields. And unfortunately for the deer, wheat harvest hits at the same time as fawning season.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: North Texan

Tall grass is the preferred fawning habitat for deer. They like to fawn in tall grass, and they like to fawn a comfortable distance away from the edge. If you leave only the edge, they probably will not fawn there.

Unless food is a limiting resource, I would probably leave the grass alone, especially if you are going to do a food plot, anyway. I've seen and accidentally run over no telling how many fawns because neighboring landowners left no tall grass, so the deer fawned out in the wheat fields. And unfortunately for the deer, wheat harvest hits at the same time as fawning season.
the field is pretty small, i can take pictures
if i let the field grow will i see more deer this upcoming season, or less deer?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Evan - Sometimes you ask questions that no one can answer -
Maybe you'll see more -maybe not - we don't know -
- if you were happy with the numbers you saw last year (not cut) - why change?

FH
Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Evan - Sometimes you ask questions that no one can answer -
Maybe you'll see more -maybe not - we don't know -
- if you were happy with the numbers you saw last year (not cut) - why change?

FH
actually the grass WAS cut this year.
FH thanks for letting me know about my questions, now that i read that it doesnt make any sense. i will work on my questioning skills
i think i might cut a little less this year and see what happens.

Quick Reply: letting grass grow, or cutting it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.