Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

plot too close to house?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default plot too close to house?

here is the field where my plot is going to be. on the right is my house. i sometimes see deer sign in the open part of the field but not too often. i do however see tons and tons of deer sign in the brushier thicker part in the left side of the field. do you think that my plot will be too close to my house?

here is the link:
http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?...-1&drwl=-1

Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: plot too close to house?

No, 2003 I shot an 8 pt. 100 ft from my house in woods that was his core area, robs, scraps, droppings and beds all over. Nice property MM11.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ken3g

No, 2003 I shot an 8 pt. 100 ft from my house in woods that was his core area, robs, scraps, droppings and beds all over. Nice property MM11.
thanks man
i just wanted to make sure that it was good place before i start work on my plot.
do you have pics of that 8 pt?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Whether or not the plot will be too close to depends on a few things. If you have dogs outside your house then you may have a hard time getting deer to come to eat. If deer have other food sources in better hidden places then you may have a hard time seeing deer. On the other hand if you area is void of any good deer forage then you may see many deer in your plot. How much deer will use you plot will depend on many things.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes i have dogs but i seen deer in nieghbors field and our dog was barking at the deer and scared of it and the deer didnt bolt until it saw me come out from the house.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have dogs that are loose outside, then I would say it is not a good place. If you go to the stand dogs/cats tend to follow you. Deer will tolerate a lot, but they don't like to be bothered, and a dog will most likely mess with them too much. It will be bad enough to have the "Bambi" in the back yard problem.......
Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

If you have dogs that are loose outside, then I would say it is not a good place. If you go to the stand dogs/cats tend to follow you. Deer will tolerate a lot, but they don't like to be bothered, and a dog will most likely mess with them too much. It will be bad enough to have the "Bambi" in the back yard problem.......
im planting buckwheat up there over spring and then my plan is to plow it under and plant clover, brassicas, and oats. but if im having problems over summer with the dogs scaring off deer and deterring them with the buckwheat planted, ill move my plot somewhere else in the fall
Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

The deer may get used to the dogs. Or the dogs may get used to the deer. I have a garden/winter food plot 35 yards from the back door. They are in there day or night unless I am outside. The chesapeake barks at them from the porch but they just watch her and eat. The deer bed about 200 yards away. So I guess they determined the dog is a nuisence they live with. It is bread to guard and retrieve. Not to chase away or fight. So since it is not aggresive the deer are fine with it. The poor lab doesn't have enough sense to run anything off, he just looks at the dumby barking and wants to play. I do not get onto her for any barking since my wife wanted her for a gaurd dog. But I do not tolerate them running anything but a downed bird or an object thrown with command to fetch. Dogs can easily be trained with an e-collar humanely. I tried it on myself at 1, which I rarely use on them. Most of the time it is only a voice command or in extreme circumstances a warning beep with no stimulation. The collar on 1 feels like a very slight vibration. I have never had to go any higher on them than 1. So try it out. If the food is good enough they shouldn't mind a dog barking as long as it's just doing that.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bugflipper

The deer may get used to the dogs. Or the dogs may get used to the deer. I have a garden/winter food plot 35 yards from the back door. They are in there day or night unless I am outside. The chesapeake barks at them from the porch but they just watch her and eat. The deer bed about 200 yards away. So I guess they determined the dog is a nuisence they live with. It is bread to guard and retrieve. Not to chase away or fight. So since it is not aggresive the deer are fine with it. The poor lab doesn't have enough sense to run anything off, he just looks at the dumby barking and wants to play. I do not get onto her for any barking since my wife wanted her for a gaurd dog. But I do not tolerate them running anything but a downed bird or an object thrown with command to fetch. Dogs can easily be trained with an e-collar humanely. I tried it on myself at 1, which I rarely use on them. Most of the time it is only a voice command or in extreme circumstances a warning beep with no stimulation. The collar on 1 feels like a very slight vibration. I have never had to go any higher on them than 1. So try it out. If the food is good enough they shouldn't mind a dog barking as long as it's just doing that.
what are these e collars? my dog would try and chase after them, but when she gets close she gets afraid of them
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

http://shop.sportdogbrand.com/store/...ct_detail&p=12
You've seen em before, just the shock collars. They have new technology out now where they are not just a zapper. More of a vibration for training. Not a source of pain for dicipline if used properly. It really makes a world of difference with the dogs. I have the 1800 model for 2 dogs and long range. If you just have one dog you can get by a lot cheaper especially if you can get by with 400 yards instead of 1800.
If you use them as the company suggests with very thorough training they are a reinforcement for the dog to learn, instead of a punishment for them doing bad. This way you have a dog that understands more what you want and is eager to please. Instead of not understanding why you are yelling at it. It takes a lot of interaction for short durations. The training is broken down into fun time just 15 minute or less intervals. If they start showing any signs of discontent you focus more on play then training. The cd will show you the signs the dog displays to cue you. My dogs were both adults and were a snap to get in line. Both are rambunctios high energy dogs that love to please, as most dogs do. They went from doing nothing I said to doing everything. It did not break their spirit. I have never had their tail go between their legs. Just an overall good program that allows you to train them to behave. Mine are for hunting, but are spoiled house dogs at times too. So just members of the family that behave well and get to interact a lot more with the family since they do.

Quick Reply: plot too close to house?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.