Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

plow

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: plow

MGH PA,
I assume that you mean back and forth as I described above and not an actual circle. (Although a circle would be a neat trick, especially as you got close to the center.)Plowing one way is actually much simpler. You make your first pass and then just follow the furrow on succeeding passes. The shape of the field doesn't matter. Even my ex-wife could do it.An advantage to one way plowing is that you do not have to worry about finding the middle furrow when you plow in, or finishing the middle furrow when you plow out.And, if the field is not rectangular, you do not have to drive over and compactthe newly plowed ground when you do your point rows. Also in hilly ground,when you work the soil with a disc,harrow, etc.it always moves down hill. By plowing the soil up hill you are essentially "putting it back".

In all honesty, in a food plot, it is not a big deal. But, in large fields, the advantages of one way plowing are so significant that quite early on savvy farmers were using right and left plows, and later rollover plows. In addition to what is mentioned above, itis far less time (and fuel) consuming to turn around at the end of the furrow and start back than to drive across the end of a wide field.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

ORIGINAL: mountainman08

Make sure you always plow in the same direction. It sounds simple but I've seen many a novice farmer try plowing in both directions and it just doesn't work like that! Your 1st run needs to be straight as possible. Back up and put the tractor's wheels in the furrow, then when you plow this 2nd row the sod will fall into the first furrow you made. A one bottom plow like you have should be fairly easy. Also you should disc first, wait a few days then plow, wait a few days then disc again. By discing first it breaks up the roots and makes a much better seedbed.
LOL! I envisionyour "novice farmer" plowing wildly in all directions. Not toomuch different fromsome of the tobacco growers (notice that I did not use the word farmers) I see here in Virginia.

Actually, farmers have been plowing in both directions since the days when plows were pulled by oxen, horses or mules. Plow out, leaving a middle furrow,one year, andin, leaving two outside furrows, the next.

But, for a food plot, I agree that the best bet is to plow one way, throwing the soil uphill if possible,then driving empty back to the starting point.
i was planning on plowing like i cut the grass. going one direction in a straight line, then turning around and doing it the oppossite way next to the row i just cut. what are you guys trying to say about the direction of plowing? im sorry im real confused on this.

ken3- so you think i can plant a good plot without burning or spraying roundup? just plowing and disking?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

MGH PA,
I assume that you mean back and forth as I described above and not an actual circle. (Although a circle would be a neat trick, especially as you got close to the center.)Plowing one way is actually much simpler. You make your first pass and then just follow the furrow on succeeding passes. The shape of the field doesn't matter. Even my ex-wife could do it.An advantage to one way plowing is that you do not have to worry about finding the middle furrow when you plow in, or finishing the middle furrow when you plow out.And, if the field is not rectangular, you do not have to drive over and compactthe newly plowed ground when you do your point rows. Also in hilly ground,when you work the soil with a disc,harrow, etc.it always moves down hill. By plowing the soil up hill you are essentially "putting it back".

In all honesty, in a food plot, it is not a big deal. But, in large fields, the advantages of one way plowing are so significant that quite early on savvy farmers were using right and left plows, and later rollover plows. In addition to what is mentioned above, itis far less time (and fuel) consuming to turn around at the end of the furrow and start back than to drive across the end of a wide field.

Oh, I was thinking you were suggesting plowing one way, lifting the plow at the end, driving back, and starting the next row. Seems like wasted fuel and time. By stating one direction, that's what I thought you were getting at, rather than plowing up, than coming back and plowing down, etc.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

MGH PA,

Oh, I was thinking you were suggesting plowing one way, lifting the plow at the end, driving back, and starting the next row. Seems like wasted fuel and time. By stating one direction, that's what I thought you were getting at, rather than plowing up, than coming back and plowing down, etc.
this is what i thought too what does one direction plowing mean you do though? im still confused
Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Evan - you are confused because 2 guys are making different points and using similar terminology.

Mountainman08 was simply saying that when you plow up a furrow - next time through - put your right tires in the deadfurrow and roll the next section into it.

What Ken3g was saying is that sometimes - its better to come back empty (not plowing) - plow all in the same direction - and then you end up with NO DEADFURROW in the middle of the field. And to plow up hill if you have a choice- because you roll the soil back up hill (where it came from). It makes a huge difference over a few decades.

With food plots - its like this -
Level - evenly plowed fields are important -

I still deal with dead forrows in the middle of my fields from when I first started plowing years ago! Now - I will take my time - and in a small field I'll roll it all off to one side - drive all the way back and start the next row next the the last one.( not plow back on the opposite side of the field). On a couple fields - I leave a roadway (not plowed section) down the field - so that I can come back and avoid deadfurrows.

Reading back - Its hard to explain properly - but.............once you plow a feild or two - you know exactly what we are talking about.

FH
Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

MGH PA,

I'm sorry, I guess plowing thousands of acres over 35 years make things more apparent to me. Byplowing one way, I mean that theSOIL is all turned in one direction. You still drive both ways, but only plow one way. This is nice for food plots, since the area is generally relatively small. You do not have to deal with a middle furrow, the furrow left at the bottom is usually filled in when you do your secondary tillage and youmove the soil back up hill every time you plow. So you end up with a nice smooth field.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

MM11 you can make a good food plot just plowing and discing. Farmers have been doing it this way longer than I have. The cost would be to much and burning would be very unsafe most years, there is more to it than just going out to the field with a match. Like you have to get the townships permission to do it where I live and pay fire company to be there, in case fire gets out of control. And paper work goes with using chemicals, when using a lot. Sorry for confusing you. Check out www.youtube.com, tractors plowing this I think will heip you.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Evan - you are confused because 2 guys are making different points and using similar terminology.

Mountainman08 was simply saying that when you plow up a furrow - next time through - put your right tires in the deadfurrow and roll the next section into it.

What Ken3g was saying is that sometimes - its better to come back empty (not plowing) - plow all in the same direction - and then you end up with NO DEADFURROW in the middle of the field. And to plow up hill if you have a choice- because you roll the soil back up hill (where it came from). It makes a huge difference over a few decades.

With food plots - its like this -
Level - evenly plowed fields are important -

I still deal with dead forrows in the middle of my fields from when I first started plowing years ago! Now - I will take my time - and in a small field I'll roll it all off to one side - drive all the way back and start the next row next the the last one.( not plow back on the opposite side of the field). On a couple fields - I leave a roadway (not plowed section) down the field - so that I can come back and avoid deadfurrows.

Reading back - Its hard to explain properly - but.............once you plow a feild or two - you know exactly what we are talking about.

FH
thanks FH you cleared that up a bit

ken3g i think i might try what your thinking and just plow and disk not worry about roundup or burning. what does anyone else think about this?

i understand the whole thing about plowing once then coming back empty. i dont really want to do that becasue i only have a one blade (is that what it called?) plow and it would take a lot of time and diesel to do that.
i got another question. im not sure if your saying this or not but could i start on the edge of the field plow once then drive to the other edge of the field and plow the opposite way i just did then go back to the first edge and plow in the same direction?

here is a picture of my idea. the brown is the area i wont plow and the green is the area iwill plow on the arrows indicate the direction of the plow. i will be driving bacically in a circle just not plowing on the brown part to the rright and left. i hope this makes sense
here is a actual picture of the field maybe it will help
http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?cx=701099&cy=4366419&proj=32616&a mp;mpp=0.75&pic=img&prov=gx19&stac=155 5&ovrl=-1&drwl=-1

Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

MM11, yes you can it like that, will work to, it just gets alittleharder in the middle.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ken3g

MM11, yes you can it like that, will work to, it just gets alittleharder in the middle.
thanks man your a big help

Quick Reply: plow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.