Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

plow

Old 01-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: plow

MM11:
I think what he is saying is that you dont have to use the round up if your going to plow the weeds and grasses under. (if im reading correctly)
Old 01-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

MM11 I think you misunderstood me, I (wouldn't apply round up) if you are going to plow your food plot up.Plowing will turn all your weeds under and give you a fresh seed bed to work with . Thank you rem700man.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ken3g

MM11 I think you misunderstood me, I (wouldn't apply round up) if you are going to plow your food plot up.Plowing will turn all your weeds under and give you a fresh seed bed to work with . Thank you rem700man.
ok thanks for the clarification.
so dont bother burning or applying round up? just plow, disk, then broadcast, then disk in lightly?
how much time do i need to take inbewteen each of these steps?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

MM11 depends on the moisture of ground, don't want it caking to tractor, plow or disc. And disc seed in gently, you don't want to bury the seed deep. Most grass and legumes like clover, you really don'y need to disc in once broadcasted, watch for rain and try to broadcast day or 2 be for it rains. THis has beenmy experience on the farm whennot using drill . JMO.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ken3g

MM11 depends on the moisture of ground, don't want it caking to tractor, plow or disc. And disc seed in gently, you don't want to bury the seed deep. Most grass and legumes like clover, you really don'y need to disc in once broadcasted, watch for rain and try to broadcast day or 2 be for it rains. THis has beenmy experience on the farm whennot using drill . JMO.
so burn it or roundup or neither?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Make sure you always plow in the same direction. It sounds simple but I've seen many a novice farmer try plowing in both directions and it just doesn't work like that! Your 1st run needs to be straight as possible. Back up and put the tractor's wheels in the furrow, then when you plow this 2nd row the sod will fall into the first furrow you made. A one bottom plow like you have should be fairly easy. Also you should disc first, wait a few days then plow, wait a few days then disc again. By discing first it breaks up the roots and makes a much better seedbed.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crazy Idea: Buy whatever you plan on planting and just follow the directions on the bag
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mountainman08

Make sure you always plow in the same direction. It sounds simple but I've seen many a novice farmer try plowing in both directions and it just doesn't work like that! Your 1st run needs to be straight as possible. Back up and put the tractor's wheels in the furrow, then when you plow this 2nd row the sod will fall into the first furrow you made. A one bottom plow like you have should be fairly easy. Also you should disc first, wait a few days then plow, wait a few days then disc again. By discing first it breaks up the roots and makes a much better seedbed.
LOL! I envisionyour "novice farmer" plowing wildly in all directions. Not toomuch different fromsome of the tobacco growers (notice that I did not use the word farmers) I see here in Virginia.

Actually, farmers have been plowing in both directions since the days when plows were pulled by oxen, horses or mules. Plow out, leaving a middle furrow,one year, andin, leaving two outside furrows, the next.

But, for a food plot, I agree that the best bet is to plow one way, throwing the soil uphill if possible,then driving empty back to the starting point.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

MM11 I would do neither, burn or round up. Keyshunter right on with plowing in two different directions and I agree on food plot plowing.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not to hijack here, but what's the advantage/logic in plowing in one direction? I'm a novice for sure, but I've plowed our plot in a circle pattern for quite a few years, and I'm curious as to the reasoning is behind one direction plowing? Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: plow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.