Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Oats, deer ate the neighbors, not mine, why?

Old 04-17-2003, 04:41 PM

Default RE: Oats, deer ate the neighbors, not mine, why?

Farm Hunter

Upping the acreage may be the key too. I really don' t know. We will lime heavy this year and see if that changes things.

North Jeff

The oats that were pounded by the deer on my neighbor' s land were an inch tall from over browsing. Mine which were about 1/2 mile away were over a foot tall...nice and lush.

Fl Deerman

I' m with you...that' s why it' s hunting.

It sure is a pleasure when you see a successfully growing plot, knowing you put the work in there and it' s paying off. My wife always yells and says that I don' t mind work around the hunting land but at the house I do. I tell her because when I work at the land...it' s fun. Home is not. Trial and error is where it is at with us. We will still do some oats this fall, along with Alfarack and a small plots of soybeans. One tip for you all, the oats grew pretty decent on trails through the woods. Very narrow strips were hit hard and early. We tried it thinking it wouldn' t take due to the lack of sunlight...we were pleasantly surprised. Thanks for all your input and tips!!!!!