Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Generic Seed

Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Generic Seed

I'd love to get food plots on various acres, but the Bio-Logic ect. is just soooo expensive! Has anyone used a just regular seed from a feed stop ect. and done any good with it? Is it just as high in minerals ect?

thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Generic Seed

ORIGINAL: MathewsShooter30; Has anyone used a just regular seed from a feed stop ect. and done any good with it?
All the time. Never used Whitetail Institute or Biologic products, but ...... Been doing foodplots for eight years,in 5 counties(at least once), and planted RR corn, RR soybeans, RR sugarbeets, sweetcorn, buckwheat, winter wheat, winter rye, barley, two kinds of turnips, three kinds of brassicas, ladino, dutch white, alsike, and crimson clovers.
ORIGINAL: MathewsShooter30; Is it just as high in minerals ect?
Yup, same stuff. JMHO
Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

In my experience the local guys are the way to go. Spend the money you save on seed and put it toward spray or fertilizer.

Dan
Old 01-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I used "Throw and Grow" and a few other Whitetail Institute stuff. I got curious and planted it next to some "Generic" stuff from the feed store. I bet you can guess which one won the contest. Yep the feed store. And it cost a LOT less.

On a side note "Throw and Grow" is just about worthless. Has anyone had any succes with this product? I am looking for some seed to put in micro plots without having to drag a rototiller 2 miles through the woods. Any suggestions for a good seed that hopefully hogs are not to keen on.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The one seed that I have found that is better than what you can buy at a feed store is Buck Forage oats. I have tried 4 different types of oats and the BF oats will stay green in the cold weather. The rest of them turn yellow when it comes a hard freeze. There more expensive, but there the only ones that I buy now. If anyone knows a type that wont turn yellow let me know.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

On a side note "Throw and Grow" is just about worthless. Has anyone had any succes with this product? I am looking for some seed to put in micro plots without having to drag a rototiller 2 miles through the woods.
Those "throw and grow" seeds are just small seeds that are able to work their way to the soil and germinate without a lot of soil prep. They aren't special seeds and you can mix up your own.Still, they HAVE to be able to reach the soil. You can't just throw them onthe leafy ground and have them grow.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Alot of the name brand food plot mixes are 50-75% w.wheat or red clover(red clover is cheaper & inferior to Ladino Clover for deer)which you can by in 50lbs. sacks for about 10% of what they charge you. Some mixes include "rye grass" which will take over your plot by the second year, its hard to get rid of, and while deer will eat it when there's nothing else, they don't prefer it.

We go tothe local co-op and get ladino clover and chicory plant plant it at a 2-1 ratio/3lbs. per acre. At the end of the summer go back and get w.wheat anddwarf essex rape. plant it at a ratio of 10-1 and about 50lbs. per acre. We do about8 acres of hunting plots (13 plots)and only spend around $100.00 a year on seed. Spend your money on lime and fertilizer they will make your plots way more attractive than seeds that come from a bag with a picture of a big buck on it, I learned this the hard.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys!! I am def. doing generic seed so i can get the quantity of food plots I want!!!

Will the generic seed still offer food plots that you can hunt over? In other words, will they still stay green throughout the winter like my Bio-logic clover?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Who does Biologic buy their clover seed from?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

If you put it that way I've wasted money in the past[:@]

Quick Reply: Generic Seed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.