Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tractor

Old 01-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Spike

Default RE: Tractor

I bought this tractor with loader for $7500. It has around 90 horse power, more than enough power for your needs. Lots of good suggestions here and most tractors will handle your needs. You wont ever regret to much horsepower or to much traction. I find that many smaller horsepower tractors are in high demand for acreage owners using them for snow removal. Tractors like this are not in quite as high demand for acreages and hobby farmers, and most real farmers have long moved on to bigger and better things.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM

AGCO 29 HP 4 wheel drive Diesel. AGCO Corporationbought out Allis Chalmer,Wilmar, Massey Fergusson, White, Laverda (Italian), CAT (Caterpillar)Challenger tractor line,Hesston, Ag-Chem, Fendt, Sisu Diesel (finland), Gleaner, Valtra and a line of Iseki (Japan). I need some more attachments. AGCO has Zero interest for 72 months right now.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:47 PM

A Ford 8N or 600 series tractor will do a food plot easily. No power steering sucks but 25hp will pull a 2 bottom plow and a 8' disc easy as long as you go slow and steady and have the implements adjusted right. They are common in my area (upstate NY) and a nice working unit with decent tires is about $2500. Tractors are easy to work on so even a broken one might be worth considering, the back tires are the most expensive item next to a cracked engine block. Farmalls are cheaper but most don't have the 3 point hitch like the Fords. The bigger tractors in the 45-60hp range are nice and not too much more money, but they use way more gas and are harder to pull out when you get them stuck. I would get one with a front end loader, the loader can be used to get you unstuck and comes in handy for a million things.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

A Ford 8N or 600 series tractor will do a food plot easily.
+1

Have a nice 8N that we use for food plots at two of our places. We pull a 5 ft. brush hog as well as a 6 ft. tandem disc with it. We put in 12 acres of food plots last year. The tractor at our other place is a Mitsubishi D1600. Bought it with a new brush hog for $3,000 in 2003 with 444 hours on it. It uses much less fuel than a riding mower and pulls an old Ford disc.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Twofriends of mine are making their on diesel from cooking oil. They go around to several catfish houses and collect all their peanut oil to make it with. They made enough last year to cut 800 round bail of hay for their tractors and they also run it in their 2 flatbed Dodge diesels trucks on it. Theytell me me it costs them about 85 cents a gallon to make it. Cheap fuel.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Spike

I got a 9n for last winter and got in running, plowed, disced, planted, and mowed. I got in from my wife's grandpa, If i had the money i'd get a new 50 hp 4wheel tractor...but i don't so i do what i can. but when an old farmer sees it plowing they get a twinkle in their eye.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great imput. It looks like I need to do a little looking around my area and see what I can find.

Dan
Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

JD 1070 has been an awesome tractor for our needs. Anything in the 30 HP range will do anything you ever need. We've found that the more HP and the 4WD is almost needed for plows and they really cut down on the time it takes to do whatever you need.