Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Wolves

Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Spike

Default RE: Wolves

I will not beet around the bush kill them all.... the fact that we as hunters are losing the battle,, that we are not allowed to hunt something we pay for,., with the purchase of tags:: is to me unexplainable...yes we pay for wolfs as well fellows get your state regs out,, wolfs are listed under the protected species and that is in some states up to 25% of state fees.. I don't know, but to me it sounds a little funny...
I am done ranting about something we should be able to control....

there was a limit set forth in 2000 that would allow hunters to hunt wolfs in the greater glacier and yellowstone regions once there was 35 breeding pairs outside each park now in 2009 there is up to 50 breeding pairs outside glacier and even more out side yelllowstone....

whats going on; I once read a book:: yeah I can read...
it stated that "we needed to learn from our fore fathers as they had set forth rules and by laws to protect our nations families and there property" them rules and regs are our Constitutuion of these United States of America

so when are we going to go back to the basic rules of our country... yes we have changed for the better but at the same time we have gone back for the worst.....in my opinion
Old 02-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1sagittarius

ORIGINAL: JW! Don't tell me wolves do not take out bear of birddogs - they have and one highly title briddog was within 25 yards of a public campground! So how does that make you feel.
It is unfortunate every time any domestic animal is attacked. There is a choice, you can hunt the wild north woods, or some place safer. The local warden or field biologist should be able to tell you which areas are safer than others, and which area to avoid altogether.

ORIGINAL: JW! Leaving the wolf intact in WI is a huge mistake.
Yup, thats what the Federal Government does, one mistake after another.
Just out of curiosity,which side of the fence do you stand on 1saggitarius? Do you want to have a wolf hunting season or do you want them protected? It seems like you always stick up for the wolf and here you are saying that leaving the wolf in wisconsin is a mistake. I'm just trying to clarify the subject.

JW!, I couldn't agree with you more. I also grouse hunt in northern wisconsin with my dog, and that is my biggest worry, that a wolf would attack my dog and I could do nothing about it. I personally know at least one other hunter who has had a wolf stalk their dog. There are countless reports about it happening all over. Last grouse season I am fairly confident that my dog and I were stalked by a wolf as well. I never did get a look at what was following us, but for about 45 minutes, every so often I could hear something walking in the brush behind us. Some may claim that it was a deer or other harmless animal, but we were walking through neck high brush and constantly breaking branches and making a huge racket. Any sensible animal would have been long gone. My dog, who isalways quiet and focused while we are hunting, began to growl at whatever was making that sound. The rest of that hunt I made sure my dog never left my sight and stayed very close. It is a terrible feeling, knowing that if you would have a wolf attack your dog but not you, there is nothing that you can do because they are federally protected. I follow every hunting rule, but if I would have a wolf attack my best hunting partner, I wouldn't think twice about breaking just one rule. It's completely unfair to prevent a hunter from protecting his dog. I can't think of anybody that would simply watch their dog get mauled by a wolf without taking action, and if they would, they shouldn't have a dog because they're not a good owner. A wolf season has long been due.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Redclub The wolves were not introduced in Wi. but when they caused problems they were trapped and moved to a different location. Redclub
Yeah, and why was that? Because the Feds would not allow the State to just euthanize problem wolves, like the State wanted to! That issue went back and forth in the Federal courts several times, not the state court.
Thats why we have so many, 500 wolves yea right, must have 500 in Price Co. alone ,any way it seems that way. I seen quite a few and did have them follow me and my dogs,seen the tracks in fresh snow.
Redclub
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ihuntandfish

Last grouse season I am fairly confident that my dog and I were stalked by a wolf as well. I never did get a look at what was following us, but for about 45 minutes, every so often I could hear something walking in the brush behind us. Some may claim that it was a deer or other harmless animal, but we were walking through neck high brush and constantly breaking branches and making a huge racket. Any sensible animal would have been long gone. My dog, who isalways quiet and focused while we are hunting, began to growl at whatever was making that sound.
I think the two most likely possibilitiesare a wolf or a mountain lion. Coyotes generally don't hang around that long looking for an opportunity. It definitely would not be a deer, racoon, skunk or badger ifit was following you for 45 minutes. Whatever it was itdid not feel threatened by you or your dog. That isa veryconcerning and dangerousfact about a protected predator -itis a predatorthat feels it hasnoenemies.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

YO ....if your out in the woods and a wolf attacks your dog U have every right to to stop the attack!!!! by whatever means nessesary!!! I don't care were you live or what state you're in, U have the right to protect your property!!!! yes the wolf may be a protected species .....but that protection ends when they destroy private property!! IfU catch them in the act, red handed so to speak they're fair game...you just can't go out and kill every wolf you see if one has killed your cow!!! remember these animals were here for thousands of years before we got here and they didn't eat all of the deer and elk then, and they arent gonna do it now!!! we are not entitled to the animals, the animals are entitled to the animals and we should do our utmost to assure that all animal species survive, despite mans intrusion!!!! right now my prime deer hunting area is is experiancing a die off due to HLS(hair loss syndrome) and were did it get it's start?? from an imported lice, that came in with fallow deer ...and how did the fallow deer get here??? the sooner we accept that we screwwed it up the sooner we can fix it...instead of blaming something or someone else!!! wolves ,coyotes and bears did not kill off nearly all the bison, wolves ,bear and coyotes did not kill of all the carrier pegions.!..it was hunters!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ihuntandfish Just out of curiosity,which side of the fence do you stand on 1saggitarius? Do you want to have a wolf hunting season or do you want them protected? It seems like you always stick up for the wolf and here you are saying that leaving the wolf in wisconsin is a mistake. I'm just trying to clarify the subject.
Make no mistake, there should definitely be a season of some sort on wolves, in Wisconsin. It is long over due, the population has been too high for too long. The point is,too many dumb bubbas start whining at the the state DNR about it. When in reality, wolves are Federally protected, Federally regulated, and Federally controled. The state as repetedly requested authorization to control wolves in Wisconsin. These requests have been denied or pulled back several times in Federal courts.The State DNR does not have any authorization to anything but monitor wolves within the state. Does that clairfy the subject for you?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Redclub Thats why we have so many, 500 wolves yea right, must have 500 in Price Co. alone ,any way it seems that way. I seen quite a few and did have them follow me and my dogs,seen the tracks in fresh snow. Redclub
Yeah, right. The wolves have been here for over 30 years, eating deer, breeding, eating deer, spreading, eating deer, breeding, eating deer, spreading, eating deer ...... maybe thats why you seen the tracks in fresh snow? You should write your Congressman and Senators in Washington .... they alone can help lift the Federal protection on wolves.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Make no mistake, there should definitely be a season of some sort on wolves, in Wisconsin. It is long over due, the population has been too high for too long. The point is,too many dumb bubbas start whining at the the state DNR about it. When in reality, wolves are Federally protected, Federally regulated, and Federally controled. The state as repetedly requested authorization to control wolves in Wisconsin. These requests have been denied or pulled back several times in Federal courts.The State DNR does not have any authorization to anything but monitor wolves within the state. Does that clairfy the subject for you?
Yeah, that clarifies things up. I agree with what you're saying.

ORIGINAL: finnbear

YO ....if your out in the woods and a wolf attacks your dog U have every right to to stop the attack!!!! by whatever means nessesary!!! I don't care were you live or what state you're in, U have the right to protect your property!!!! yes the wolf may be a protected species .....but that protection ends when they destroy private property!! IfU catch them in the act, red handed so to speak they're fair game
I wish that was the case, but as long as wolves are on the endangered list and one attacks your dog, you are not allowed to shoot it unless you yourself are in danger. I think it's completely ridiculous, andI can assure you that ifa wolfattacked my dog, I would not just sit back and watch it.

I saw a program on public TV last night about the wolves in Yellowstone National Park. It talked about how the government refuses to take the wolves off the endangered list in the park, even when the wolf has been delisted in areas around the park. It went on to say how the wolves are causing a ton of damage in the park to the elk herd and many other animals. And just to clarify things, this was not a hunting or trapping program, it is simple a nature show devoted to researching and teaching people about many different animal species. I feel sorry for the people near and in the park who have to put up with that nuisance.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Who gives a rats arse that wolves were here first? What difference do 100 year old population trends make? That is the argument of idiots. Times change, places change, parimeters change, what matters is here and now. The wolve doesn't belong here ANYMORE. Yes, polulations are being dramatically impacted. Yes, wolf re-introduction was funded by ANTI-HUNTING groups. YES it does limit hunting opportunites. YES, wolves do in fact kill for pleasure, and the evidence of such is overwhelming. I have personally seen kills that were partially eaten and left to rot. I have never heard one single personever answer the question: why were wolves re-introduced? Why? Stop and think about that question for a minute.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: muley699

Who gives a rats arse that wolves were here first? What difference do 100 year old population trends make? That is the argument of idiots. Times change, places change, parimeters change, what matters is here and now. The wolve doesn't belong here ANYMORE. Yes, polulations are being dramatically impacted. Yes, wolf re-introduction was funded by ANTI-HUNTING groups. YES it does limit hunting opportunites. YES, wolves do in fact kill for pleasure, and the evidence of such is overwhelming. I have personally seen kills that were partially eaten and left to rot. I have never heard one single personever answer the question: why were wolves re-introduced? Why? Stop and think about that question for a minute.
First off, before 1sagittarius gets a chance to say it , wolves naturally came in from other states like Minnesotta. You are exactly right about theland changing, which means that the area cannot hold as many predators as it once could. Wolves are federally protected, which means that nobody could do anything about them, and I have no idea why they are, because as you said, we gain nothing from having wolves around.

Quick Reply: Wolves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.