HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   WHat do you think? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/278785-what-do-you-think.html)

outdoorsman4life_103 12-16-2008 01:23 PM

WHat do you think?

We recently bought some land and have a 10-12 acre field and a 1 acre food plot (right) I have been racking my brain for what to plant, so i decided maybe a variety would be best. Here is my plan thus far~ seal in field from road with three rows of pine trees, then in the field, the red box will be white tail institute's extreme, orange box will be biologic biomaxx, the yellow boxes will be green beans, and the blue box will be harvest's spot plot. What do any of you think? im also sealing the food plot off from the field with pines. Any ideas or comments will be more than appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Brandon

Deleted User 12-16-2008 02:43 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Remnard 12-16-2008 02:49 PM

RE: WHat do you think?

Its tough to know what is around you. Do you have a bigger picture with the surrounding area? Can you hunt outside of the fields coming from and going to the bedding areas?

The field is kind of square. while that makes farming easier, it is helpful if it is irregular shaped with little pockets along the edges. The deer feel at ease in that type of environment. If you just need food plots and you won't be hunting them, then you are fine.

I'm not up on all of those plantings, but make sure they overlap in when they will come into their prime as far as palatibility and protein/nutrients go. This will keep the deer in there longer and you'll have a better chance of harvesting deer in the plots.

outdoorsman4life_103 12-16-2008 03:29 PM

I believe biomaxx consists of corn and soybeans. the purple arrows are the dominant wind (out of the west), the light green is the believed deer travel ways, the black squares are public land (completely thick with jackpine). it is almost impossible to get into because it is so thick. the white is where we assume they bed. it is so thick in there, they must. they do bed in our land as well, but not as heavily. as oyu can see, there is no real god food sources for quite a ways. WHen this field is planted for hutning season, there are deer everywhere. when there isnt, the deer find other places. tehy are stil there, but not in such high densities..The previous land owner had a farmer farm it, but this year, he pulled the crops in mid august, much to early for any hunting season, so we will be taking over this year. We own everything in the blue chunk and we will be leasing the land to the left (west and pink) for next year.. Is there anything else you would suggest?

thank you though for your comments. they are very helpful. :)

Brandon

petrey10 12-17-2008 07:14 AM

why whitetail institutes extreme? I believe that alfa rack plus or Imperial is better than extreme. Extreme is for areas where very little can be grown due to poor land. If it was used for agriculture the land should be of better quality then what extreme is designed for. Also are corn and soybeans grown as crops in the area? if so I would focus on other annuals such as turnips, rape, peas, maybe use Whitetail Institutes Powerplant or winter greens in this field or the equivalent to other company's product. The key is to diversify. Powerplant will provide A LOT of food. And it will give them bedding area/seclusion as it gets some what tall. Do you have water source on your land? If not you might want to try and find someone who could bulldoze you a nice little area. That will keep even more deer on your property. Since it sounds like you will be huntiing the area for awhile I would plant mast bearing trees such as Oaks, persimmons, and then a variety of fruit trees (pears, peach, apple). Again this will add more diversity to your land. Also on the trail openings that go right to your food plots maybe plant some Whitetail Institute no till or extreme there as it will attrach them out of the woods and to the food plots (again adding to the diversity of food on your land). The pine trees is a great idea but maybe look at making the inside row fruit trees.

petrey10 12-17-2008 07:16 AM

also the blue box kind of looks like you are going to box it in and not allow equipment into the area. Make sure you leave someway in so you can do maintenance or planting in the area. The big spot to the north would be a great looking spot for tree planting. Acorns, and fruit trees can provide quite a bit of food per year if they are well maintained. And the sweet smell attacts deer.

outdoorsman4life_103 12-17-2008 09:33 AM

The reason I wanted to plant biiomaxx (soybeans and corn) is because the farmers around us harvest their's so late and corn was always the best attractant in the field. So, I wanted to keep something they are used to eating, while introducing new things for them to eat. I really like your fruit tree idea. Do you know where I can buy them, relatively inexpensively? As you can see, there is alot of woods, and I would need quite a few of them. I really like your Powerplant idea, simply because, while the pine trees are growing, we will still have a barrier between the road and the rest of the field. We do have a water source. If you look to the north of the little food plot, there is a pond the deer regularly go to. We do have ALOT of oak trees throughout the land that the turkeys and deer just gobble right up. I do very much agree witht the fruit tree ideas. Thank you very much. You have been more than helpful.

Brandon