Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

planting corn

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default planting corn

how do i prep the ground to plant corn and beans this summer? (ex. ph levels, soil prep etc.)
please hlep me out
Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Spike

Default RE: planting corn

It will depend on what equipment you have and your soil. My soil here in IL is fair to good, I've limed fields to get PH right. I first go in with a moldboard plow. I have a two bottom one, it works great for turning grass and weeds,old corn stalks under. Then I disk the ground and then pull a harrow over the ground to smooth and flatten itand then plant the beans or corn. I have just broadcast the beans and lightly disked them in. But corn needs to be planted with a planter to get the seed to the right depth and covered.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i have a rototiller and a plot thats it. any other way i can plant the corn and beans? its not going to be a big plot maybe 1/2 acre to 1 acre that all
Old 11-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Spike

I'd stick with Roundup ready soybeans if I were you. Till up your plot, try and get most of the grass and weeds turned under. You can broadcast the beans by hand, about 1 1/2 bags per acre would be a good rate. Then quickly run the tiller back over the plot to try and cover most beans lightly. Don't worry to much about the beans that will be left on top, if you get some good rains they will sprout and take root. Depending on how much grass or weeds come up you may have to spray them twice. When beans are 6 to 10 inches tall spray weeds and then again when beans are about 18 inches. You can use a hand sprayer for this.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: americaneagle

I'd stick with Roundup ready soybeans if I were you. Till up your plot, try and get most of the grass and weeds turned under. You can broadcast the beans by hand, about 1 1/2 bags per acre would be a good rate. Then quickly run the tiller back over the plot to try and cover most beans lightly. Don't worry to much about the beans that will be left on top, if you get some good rains they will sprout and take root. Depending on how much grass or weeds come up you may have to spray them twice. When beans are 6 to 10 inches tall spray weeds and then again when beans are about 18 inches. You can use a hand sprayer for this.
what about the corn?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Plant roundup ready corn as well.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Basically the same prep with the equipment you have. I have broadcast corn with a fertilizer spreader and had pretty good results. After speading, just disk(or till very lightly)lightly in the soil less than 2" deep. +1 about roundup ready beans/corn. Well worth the extra costs. Ph around 6.5, fertilize with 10/10/10 at planting. Come back with more nitrogen for corn when its a couple feet high.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

where can i get roundup ready corn? and soybeans?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

In Ohio, it ought to be pretty easy. Ask the farmer down the road where he buys his. They should sell to you too, but probably at ahigher price(forthe amountyou need dont worry about it). I get mine from a local fertilizer manufacturer that sells chemicals, seed, and animal feed.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Edit, I'll do you one better http://www.asgrowanddekalb.com/replocator/home .

Quick Reply: planting corn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.