Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

fertilizer?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default fertilizer?

Ok guys, last week I put 50lbs of rye seed out on a logging road. The next day I was fortunate, it rained lightly for 8-10 hours. I want to fertilize this plot. Will fertilizer keep deer away for a while? Or will they act like nothings going on?
I have no experience with this so I don't know what to expect. This logging road is secluded and unused. The deer are using it to travel and I have a couple of bowstands along it. Should I go ahead and hunt it after fertilizing or should I wait awhile? My season ends Jan 4th. So I have some time to let it grow and be more attractive to the deer.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 AM

Default RE: fertilizer?

You aren't in the grain harvest business, so if they are hitting it now I would harvest a nice deer---they actually find when it's around 6" high the most attractive to graze-good luck!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: fertilizer?

Should have fertlilized when you planted it, but it shouldn't scare the deer away. The deer usually like it small(tender) So dont get it too hot, maybe 3/4 lb N/1000ft2.