Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plot Question

Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Plot Question

I planted my first plot before some rain with Biologic Full Draw. How long does it take for a plot to start coming up? I planted here in southern Louisiana the first week of October.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Plot Question

I don't know what is in the Full Draw, but within two weeks I would think some of it would be coming up. My Buck Forage Oats and wheat was popping up in 6 days.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 PM

I planted a plot with Full Draw this year. It rained the day after and that night as well. Took about a week and a half before it started to come up. It's looking real good right now though. It's been about three weeks since I planted here in MS.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 PM

Oh, I also mixed some Biologic Winter Peas with it. I would expect it to at least be coming up by now or soon. It's easy to cover the seeds too deep, so you have to be careful with how you cover them. I used a rake and lightly raked dirt across the plot. Didn't want to use the tractor as I was worried about planting the seeds too deep. I didn't get a chance to do a soil test, but it seems to be doing well with just 13-13-13. Keep an eye on it for another week and if it doesn't start to come up, it's very possible the seeds didn't germinate.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Do you have pictures at 3 weeks, so I can compare it to what mine looks like?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM

I had a few pictures of it on my iPhone, but I deleted them the other day. Overall, it's about 6-8" high. Everything seems to be growing well. The clover, grass, and everything else are looking good. The winter peas are still little however. It rained again today, I'll try and get a few pictures this weekend.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I purchased a plotmaster and after broadcasting the seeds, I used the roller or I think it's called the cultipacker to barely bury the seed. I didn't disk it in. The only problem I noticed was that when I started disking the soil, the soil was very hard and lumpy. I did a soil sample with biologic, and when asked if that type of clayish soil was ok to plant over, they said yes. I did everything by the book, including the type of fertilizer they recommended and adding pelletized lime. The only thing I see is some type of leaf that might be the brassica, but nothing else. Pretty dissapointed so far. It's no where near 3" after 3 weeks.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you have any moisture in the ground when you planted or a rain soon afterward? If not then don't worry too much, it will come on up if the seed were not too deep when it gets moisture.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

I broadcasted the seeds a day before it rained.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know what the Ph was when you started but lime could take up to one year to be affective and raise your level by one point. Maybe that could be affecting your rate of growth.

It is frustrating waiting for the results. It takes alot of effort and time doing the prep work .....Good Luck

Quick Reply: Plot Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.