Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

HUNTERS PER ACRE

Old 10-31-2008, 09:19 PM

Default RE: HUNTERS PER ACRE

im here in the ozarks and you 5 to 6 per 150 acres
Old 11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with LCC no set number. Our lease is 550 acres and there is 4 of us in it with 4 kids hunting to. There is plenty of room on our place for everyone.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was curious to see what replies you would get. As mentioned, thereis NO set formula, as to many variables and terrain featuresdecide how many hunters can pressure the property. I personally prefer a larger area as many have mentioned but honestly, around here I bet it's as crowded as 1 hunter per 50 acres of cover.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt my dads land and is 35 acres
Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM

I own 35 acres and my uncle owns 65 acres butting up to mine. During bow season we never hunt more than two guys on the 100 acres. During gun season we limit it to 4 people (25 acres each). The terrain is very hilly and we can safely hunt 4 people and cover most of the property.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 AM

DBaker,

As a wildlife consultant in Texas we recommend 1 blind per 250 acresfor the ideal situation. This is the ideal. The size and topography of the property should be considered for "smaller" properties. When you disperse your blinds 250 acres apart from each other you reduce seeing the same deer from two different blinds.

So by having your blinds closer than 250 acres apart you give yourself a chance to get multiple looks at a buck in different sceneries.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:33 AM

a 100 acre property around me is very large. Most of the properties around us are split up into 5-40 acre parcels. The only other people around us that has more is the owners across the street who own 140 acres of continuous property and they hunt as many as 8-10 guys during gun season. Let's be realistic, most people don't have the money to go out and here and buy 100's of acres just to hunt on. I'm fortunate to have access to 100 acres. Most people would kill for that around me.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're getting a lot of good answers, but you are asking the wrong question. While you don't want to overcrowd one another during season, you need to be looking at what is an acceptable harvest rate for the land you plan to hunt.

In my neck of the woods, one mature buck harvested per half-section would give you a lot of trophy opportunities. At 1:100, there are plenty of bucks, but not as many trophy opportunities. Start getting lower than that, and the size and quality of bucks will start going downhill very quickly.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's assuming that the folks in the club want to do QAM, oops, I mean QDM. The other issue is that not all clubs are devoted specifically to deer. If one wants to focus on deer theremay be one set of requirements, but if deer is just one of many things they want to target, then the acreage priorities could change.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the area I hunt the typical density is around 1 hunter per 160 acres. With a deer density of about 20 per square mile that give you a legitimate shot at a mature buck everytwo or threeyears if you are managing the property right.

My neighbors to the north of me have 5 hunters on 700 acres,I am the only one that deer hunts my 160 acres and the other neighbors have even lower hunter numbers than that.

It comes down to what those hunters are shooting also. A couple hunters on a place passing up younger bucks waiting for a mature buck are going to have a different impact than two other hunters who are shooting the first buck they see each year.

As several have said before, it is one of those numbers that is really impossible to pin down.

Quick Reply: HUNTERS PER ACRE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.