Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 buck forage oats tips turning purple??/ >

buck forage oats tips turning purple??/

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

buck forage oats tips turning purple??/

Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default buck forage oats tips turning purple??/

they started to come up great and are about 4 inches tall but now havent grown any lately. we've had plenty of rain lately, and now all the tips are turning purple. does this mean there dying already???
Old 09-23-2008, 03:59 AM

Default RE: buck forage oats tips turning purple??/

Sounds to me like to much water. I planted these last year in a bottom and they looked awesome. The deer ate the fool out of them, then the rain came and they turned purple and died. Some of the plot that was on higher ground still looked good until it was finally taken over by the water.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

purple color in your plants is a sign of stress of some sort.

could be too much water, but it could be not enough Phosphurous - maybe not enough Nitrogen.

We see it in corn when its young, stress - usually whenits too cold to get going. I've seen it in areas where the soils were lacking in nutrients. Sometimes, conditions change and the plants "come out of it" - However - if the soil is very acidic, or lacking in a ket nutrient, it will remain stunted.

FH
Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

well my ph levels were 5.7 when i planted, i had put down about 2 tons an acre of lime about a week before that. We didnt get any rain for a few weeks after planting and then got about 5 inches in a weekend than another 3-4 a week or so later. It hasnt rained anymore in about a week and a half. What do you do about it know, or do you just sit back and watch??
Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just wait, if it was the water they will soon start going green.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

5 inches i alot of rain at 1 time but that shouldnt kill them. i have planted them for several years and have never had any trouble with them turning purple, but my plots are on well drained soil
Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

well it dried up quite a bit before today, today it rained about an inch and things are looking alot better. as you prolly know this is my first food plot and first thing planted in the land in 11 years, just wondering when i should fertilize, what are the recommendations on fert and how much, as my seed has prolly been in the ground a month and is about 4 inches now.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you soil test or apply any fertilizer when you planted?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

i did a soil test and my ph levels were 5.7, i did not put any down at that time as i was told it would prolly burn the seed out..
Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Spike

Phosphorous deficiency causes purpling usually brought on by cool weather.

Quick Reply: buck forage oats tips turning purple??/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.