HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Deer Cane!?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/263261-deer-cane.html)

tmontgo1 09-15-2008 10:49 AM

Deer Cane!??

I just bought a jug of liquid 1 gallon deer cane and placed it in a bare spot about 20 feet away from my feeder. Does anyone have and experience deer cane(does it work well or not). The local store has a sale on it right now and Im thinking about stocking up but Im not sure if it works. Thanks for Help..

Tribal 09-15-2008 11:26 AM

RE: Deer Cane!??

I dumped some out a month ago and deer have yet to touch it. I have several pics of bucks at the same spot but not a track in the dirt where I cleared the area. lol Im glad it was only 5 bucks. But im hopeful they will hit it later after all the crops are down but don't think it's magic. My opinion I have had far better quicker results from regular old salt block.

northernwhitetail 09-15-2008 11:32 AM

never had any luck with deer cane. but i have with buck jam

pinsapex7 09-15-2008 06:58 PM

I put down an old bag of the powder I had last Dec and they never touched it while it was powder. It finally soaked into the ground good now and they have dug a hole there now and they have destroyed it. So i just hung my camera back up there again to see what kind of pics I get.

bowmanaj 09-20-2008 11:29 AM

I use the deer cane powder. It works better as a supplement than an attractant in my opinion. They hit it hard in spring-summer and it drops off in fall-winter

bigcountryok 09-23-2008 12:50 PM

I've used the liquid and never had anything touch it.

mossberghunter93 09-29-2008 09:35 AM

i put it ot about a month only a few hoof prints

SouthernStrut56 10-03-2008 10:02 AM

I use liquid whitetail addiction, I've had much better results with that than deer cane. Next year put it out during March or April and continue to keep it fresh, deer will destroy it. I put some out back in July under an overhanging sapling limb, two weeks later they had dug a hole a foot deep and two feet in diameter. Good way to get summer pictures, but I didn't have much luck with my camera this year.

lemond35 10-05-2008 09:25 PM

30-06 plu protein by far the best ground product i have used...get it..and they will dig a hole

Gunner16 10-08-2008 07:48 AM

It all depends on your area. On one of our properties, I refresh the cane site twice a year. They absolutely destroy it. ( I have to move the spot around the area because of the craters they dig) It's also great for pictures, and they only hit it hard Spring and Summer and maybe into early fall. On my other property about an hour away, I've tried several different cane spots and they just kinda paw at it visit infrequently. It's all in the soil! I recommend the powder form. Put some out late February and and refresh late July.