Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Apple or Pear trees?

Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 AM

Default Apple or Pear trees?

I am thinking of planting fruit trees next year (about 20).
I was going to plant apple but many say that deer prefer pears. What would be best for deer? PS anyone know where I can get a good deal on the trees in NY?
Thanks,
Stinky
Old 09-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Apple or Pear trees?

The wild turkey federation sells pear trees real cheap.
That being said more people are planting pears because they don't require trimming like apple trees do to stay productive.
I plated apples about ten years ago and they are nice but require plenty of work,if I were to do it again I would plant pears.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just make sure that the variety you plant are late bearing for your area. No use having pears that are long gone before the season starts.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I have used a lot of different bait in my day and deer prefer pears over just about anything
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I have both apples and pears and they will clean the pears before they will touch an apple.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

check out edward fort nurseries and qdma.com
Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also ask Cummins, they are real experts. You'll also need to get the correct rootstock to meet your needs also.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll tell you in about 5-6 years after the ones we planted this spring matures. But I would say overall they prefer apples but pears are more hardy than apples.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the variety. Deer will eat from one apple tree at my property and just leave apples from other trees around it for the coons. Plant both trees and you can't go wrong.

Dan O.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 PM

In 06, planted Yates Apples and Kieffer Pears, (some hard mast as well)all are doing well. They took off this year with the bareroots finally getting established and fertilized them this year as well. Ordered them from "The Wildlife Group" I ordered from Coldstream and Oikos in 07 & 08, various apple and pears (plums, dogwoodsand hard mast), they are also doing well.

Just placed an order from a new company, Adams County Nursery in PA. Very good selection of soft mast trees. Just placed an order for apples, pears, peaches, plums, cherry and appricots. Now I ordered these more for the wife, (however the wildlife will benefit as well), ordered various trees to mature at different times through the summer/fall.

So, if I was you I would order 10 of each. Can't go wrong, just reasearch to ensure they grow in the proper zone and are able to self pollinize or you may need to order two variety of apple/pears to cross pollinate each other.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Apple or Pear trees?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.