Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

name brand food plots

Old 08-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default name brand food plots

There is so much hype these days and money spent on food plots. All the different name brands like tecomate, biologic, imperial whitetail and many many more. Tons of money is spent on advertising and promoting there seeds. Most of them claim that they are of higher nutrition value, be it higher protein or more available nutrients to the deer. I have planted the name brand items myself and have had good luck with some and not so good with others. I guess my question is are these name brands really and truly that much better than the plain seeds that you can buy at your local co-op? In my experience the only one that i have to be betterisbuck forage oats,ive planted bob and feed oats and in the hard part of winter they always turn yellow and deer want touch them, ive never had that happen with the buck forage oats before. Of course buck forage oats are over twice the price of the others.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: name brand food plots

I'm not sure if they are that much better, too many of them to try really. I have used Buck Forage Oats for about 5 years and I know the deer like them a bunch, and really to pay another $50 or so for their seed is just a small part of the hunting expense that is worth it to me.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

If you were going to planta really large plot (2+ acres) I'd probably buy from your co-op. However, if it's just a small plot I'd try some of the name brand stuff. From my understanding, Co-op seed is designed for beef whereas these name brand plants are tested and designed for whitetails. There has to be some kind of difference.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Greg, I feel like Spurrier - smirking/grimmacing/ all that....about now. haha

I think it depends on what you want to happen. It seems a lot of the commercialized mixes provide a LOT of great stuff (i've used all of em) but I suspect, depending on what you want, you can achieve it for a lot less money at your local farmers supply or a similar outlet.

To answer your question: yes, i like em, enthusiastically.

Can you do better (price wise?)....probably.

Good luck.