Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

ATV Disc' s, Which one?

Old 04-02-2003, 11:58 AM

Default RE: ATV Disc' s, Which one?

I bought one from tractor supply new for about $100. I actually have a buddy stand on it and hold on to the back bike rack. It works really good with his weight shifting around. I tried blocks and steel plates, but found having a friend stand on it worked best for me. Of course this guy is 240lbs. I personally already owned an ATV and could not afford to buy a used tractor. It works good for me. Obviously using a farm implement would be easier, but I don' t have the contacts to borrow one or the money to buy one. If you plan on using it for a garden you might be better off buying a walk behind tiller. I would not want to put in a small garden with my setup. It would be too hard to maneuver around a tight yard.

Try this link to tractor supply.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail....productID=2649

Rooter
Old 04-02-2003, 11:35 PM

Rooter, I have been thinking of buying one of those types of disks but was afraid they would be too wimpy to stand up to tree roots and that type of thing. I have a little .2 acre spot in the woods I have been thinking of messing with as a bow hunting plot, but there would be a lot of tree roots to deal with. I have a rototiller (walk behind), but that sounds like a killer of a job.

What kind of soil are you using it in, and is it half way tough? Also, what size ATV do you use? I thought I may try to rent one somewhere or pick up one cheap at a garage sale.

Thanks, Timber
Old 04-03-2003, 11:23 AM

Timberpig, I also have seen those, NH Northerns sells the Arri-Fab for $139.00. I too was afraid it would just bend up into a heaping pile of twisted metal and leave me out the money. Now Rooter has me thinking again. The King Kutter atv one looks as if it would really do the job. 42" wide 10 discs and 270 lbs. But is is $400.00. Alot of coin for a 1/4 acre plot.

The wife keeps reminding that I can buy alot of beef for what I have spent on bow' s, guns, stands, camo, atv, and now planting eq. Oh well every one has one vice.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:12 AM

Uncle Al, I saw the yellow one cabelas sells for $569 in person at Owatonna. Trust me you wouldnt bend that thing up. It was much larger and heavier duty than I had imagined it to be and discs a 52 inch path. It also has the nice transportation wheels but thats alot of $$ to disc up a .2 acre plot. Northern Tool does sell that same one for $429. However, if Rooters gets the job done for $130, thats good enough for me, especially on a clover plot that should hopefully only need disced every 3-5 yrs.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you think would be better, a disc harrow or a rototiller running off a PTO? This would be for a Kubota tractor.

Thanks, Rob
Old 04-08-2003, 10:27 PM

Rob the rototiller would be great but have you priced them?

A disc and a plow are a fraction of the cost of the roto tiller.

You can find used stuff if you look around. do you have a box blade?

Here is a link you can read up on roto tillers here and you can even get a better idea of what equip might suit your needs.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php
Old 04-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, they are about twice the price of a disc harrow. I was looking at a KingKutter which is about $1,200 for a 48" . Most of the plots I will be doing are on the small side - two acres or less. I am just wondering if it will do a better job preparing the soil in less time. I do have a 5 foot Woods blade and a bucket.

That' s a cool site you posted. Lots of good information! Thanks, Rob
Old 04-09-2003, 10:20 PM

Rob if your box blade has scarifiers then drop them as low as they will go. shorten your top link as to make your blade not touch the ground. just the scarifiers. you got yourself one heck of a ground breaker. a few passes and you could plant.

Old 04-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a gang disk from the Northern catalog. you can turn it over on wheels for transportation. It works really well and it is very heavy duty.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

We had a very thick sod for our food plot spot. So we borrowed a tractor, and plowed it first. Dragged it out w/ my atv. Then left it for over a yr to rot the sod. I' m discing it back out in a few wks.