HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   innoculating clover/alfalfa (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/257286-innoculating-clover-alfalfa.html)

skeetr1 08-12-2008 08:09 AM

innoculating clover/alfalfa

Just wondering what technique you use to innoculate this type of seed. This will be my first time. I was told to use mountain dew/coke as a sticker, mix ina 5 gal bucket, then spread. Any veteran advice would be appreciated.

Mountaineer93 08-12-2008 12:00 PM

RE: innoculating clover/alfalfa

You were told correct. That method works for me.

When in doubt, do what the directions on the innoculant pack says.

onebigelk 08-12-2008 05:08 PM

I've seen advertised on the tube lately from Deltag innoculates that they say to use dry,
not to add anything else. I wonder, are there different kinds that should be used differently?
I was thinking about planting alfalfa this fall, does it need to be innoculated?

skeetr1 08-12-2008 10:59 PM

If the seed is not preinnoculated then it needs to be before planting if you want the clover/ alfalfa to sow nitrogen into the soil. Thats what I have read anyway.

M.Magis 08-13-2008 05:52 AM

I've seen advertised on the tube lately from Deltag innoculates that they say to use dry,
not to add anything else
I think what your seeing is not an innoculant.

Mountaineer93 08-13-2008 03:34 PM

If your seed is not microencapsulated (covered with a clay base) and is plain seed it will need to be innoculated.

Any legume such as Clover, Alfalfa, Soybeans, Winter peas, Iron Clay Peas, etc needs to be innoculated. The innoculant provides the plant with the correct bacteria needed to aid in nitrogen fixing. This helps the plant start out stronger and boosts growth until the colonies of the correct bacteria multiply in the soil. Make sure the innoculant used is correct for the crop being planted.

Remember that when planting legumes do not use feritizer with nitrogen when starting out the food plot. The reason is that once the plants start fixing nitrogen there will be too much in the soil and will cause the weeds to explode, out competing the legume. Low dose nitrogen can be added later in accordance with soil test recommendations.

Just my $.02

Hope it helps.

Madcap11 08-03-2011 06:53 AM

Seed coat is not an innoculant, doesn't replace one. It's a biostimulant that is used to enhance germination, root development, and eliminate the "lag" phase. Farmers have been using it since the mid-1980's with great success. www.seedcoat.com

hossdaniels 08-03-2011 12:12 PM

"Most" coated legume seeds are pre-inoculated. Also, check the test date. Old inoculated coated seed needs inoculating again. The soft drink thing to get the inoculant to stick is also no longer recommended. Use water or a water/sugar mix, and only a couple oz peer 50 lbs. A little goes a long way. Wet lightly, then mix to spread the water. Add inoculant and mix again.