HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Herbicide Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/255573-herbicide-question.html)

zophy 08-01-2008 01:52 PM

Herbicide Question

I live in Louisiana and we've been getting alot of rain a week. Howmany dry days do I need to apply herbicide? For instance, if I apply it on a dry day and it rains the next, would it be a waste of time. Or do I need a couple of dry days after applying for it to work?

M.Magis 08-01-2008 02:32 PM

RE: Herbicide Question

Depends on the herbicide, but the most common one, glyphosate, can withstand rain within acouple of hours.

zophy 08-07-2008 01:34 PM

I was told to use Roundup. What type should I use? Roundup Pro? Also, does anyone know how much do I use, including how many gallons of water per acre?

habitat 08-07-2008 02:40 PM

use generic roundup,just make sure it's 41% glysophate.as long as it can dry for a couple hours you're fine and the book has how much to use depending on the height of weeds.check out qdma.com lots of good info

zophy 08-10-2008 10:26 AM

How many days after spraying do I have to wait to start disking?

bawanajim 08-10-2008 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: zophy

How many days after spraying do I have to wait to start disking?
That will depend on how high the weeds are. Mowing before you spry will help cut the time down. On short weeds I think two days would be plenty.

M.Magis 08-11-2008 05:54 AM

I've never seen results in less than two weeks.

gregrn43 08-13-2008 12:50 AM

i have sprayed roundup after bushogging with very poor results. thats because lots of the cut weeds and grass is lying on top and the herbicide can not come into contact with whats underneath. also you might want to add some dish washing liquid if your using the generic roundup, it acts as a surfactant and make it kill better.the name brand roundup has a very good surfactant already in it. two hours of no rain to work.

Mountaineer93 08-13-2008 03:23 PM

If you mow before spraying, you should wait 1-2 weeks before spraying. The reason for mowing is if the top growth is dormant, you want the plant to start actively growing again so that it absorbs the herbicide. The plants will be taller and the cut grass will have compacted enough to get a proper treatment after 1-2 weeks of growth. I have had really good success with this method.

Now you will have to wait another 2 weeks or so until the herbicide does its job before you can till. This late in the season you may not have that kind of time, so treating and then tilling after the herbicide has done its job will be the way to go.