HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Sunlight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/254779-sunlight.html)

shamlin 07-27-2008 11:31 PM

Sunlight

Got a question. I am planning to plant the biologic clover plus and the preneial mix. Where I am planting are old logging roads. With pines on either side sunlight would be limited to pretty much the middle of the day.

I have planted wheat and iron clay peas there in the past and everything seemed to come up pretty good. Being this is my first exp. with the biologic products I was wondering how much of a factor the limited sunlight would play if any at all.

DBaker 07-28-2008 01:05 PM

RE: Sunlight

Most people say 4 hours of sunlight will grow anything. I have a plot on something similar to yours, except it's a narrow gasline running through the middle of the woods (20' wide). The sunlight was filtered at best so I went in and cut back some trees along the gasline to get more light in there. I made sure not to cut oaks, just maples 10" in dia or less. I believe I cut8-10 down yesterday.I am going tomorrow and taking a pole trimmer and cutting back limbs up to 20' high all down the plot in some of the bigger trees.

I would experiment. Usually clovers are pretty shade tolerant. Try it this year and if it doesn't grow, if possible, cut back some trees if you are really serious about growing something in there.

TRACKER 07-28-2008 07:04 PM

I like abought 6 hrs of sun mimimum..

farm hunter 07-28-2008 09:11 PM

My experience with shady roadways - is that clovers, rye, etc will grow - but that tonnage is greatly reduced. Maybe helps to proved a "walking snack" to a doe an her fawns - but probably doesn't support them all for the year. Its really tough to compare shaded woodland plots with field plots as far as what can be accomplished - but definitely they can serve apurpose - I always plant a few.

FH

DBaker 07-29-2008 05:23 PM

If you can get a wooded plot to yield some tonnage you will have a great plot. The deer will feel secure. On my gasline plot I am planting Green Patch Plus which is a mix of oats, winter wheat and brassicas. Even if the plants only get to half of their potential, it still should serve the purpose of a hunting plot. I have heard that turnips do not need a lot of sun, so I am hoping they will take off. The oats and WW I am a little concerned.

I talked to a guy on QDMA forums and he told me I would be ok, just get the seed broadcasted a little earlier since it will take longer for growth. For me to get good sunlight in there I would have to cut back several big oaks and hickories....... that isn't happening.