Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck Forage Oats

Old 07-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Spike

Default RE: Buck Forage Oats

The oats I saw at Gander Mountain for $29.99 were Tecomate. I decided to try the Plot Spike oats at TSC for $18.95.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

if im not mistaken they come out of stutgard arkansas, i live in north arkansas and they are sold at several stores around here locally, they are extremely hardy oat. i use to plant feed oats or bob oats and when the temp turned cold they would get a yellow cast to them. ive never had that happen with buck forage oats. deer seem to love them to as well as the turkeys.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Seems to me that BFOs are still oats and therefore not tolerant of cold. As far as I know(which isn't much), frost kills oats. That is why we plant winter wheat or winter rye in our fall annual plots. Stays green through the frost and cold, unlike oats.
Brian
Old 08-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

i've planted Spike Plot Oats and Buck Forage oats in the past. Last yeari conducted an experiment at one of our places. Planted half of a big plot withBFO and the other half in Race Horse Oats.Surprise, the Race Horse Oats germinated better and tolerated the cold better than the BFO brand.Another plot was planted withSpike Plot Oats and Race Horse Oats. Again, the cheaper seed germinated better and survived the cold better.

No more of the expensive oat seed for me.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM

All Oats are a winter crop just like Wheat and Rye. They are planted in the late fall and harvested early summer anywere a 2 crop system can be used.
Example here we rotate our beans and corn. Corn is planted in late March to earley April. It is cut as soon as the moister content gets down to around 12% normally late August or early September.In late October we plant Wheat, Rye (if there is a program for it) and oats. Harvest them in early June the plant beans in the stuble. Soy beans are harvested when the moister content gets down to 10% Normally for our beans schedule 7,8,9 It is sometime in mid to late November